docker dependency on another container - depends_on

goal: I want my mariadb container to start before kodi-server container tries to start.

I know there is depends_on for docker but how do I use it with unraid's docker setup?

I tried to add it via extra parameters like: --depends_on="mariadb"

But that breaks the container, as its an invalid flag.

28 minutes ago, zoggy said:

goal: I want my mariadb container to start before kodi-server container tries to start.

Easy solution is to set maria to start up before kodi (drag and drop on the docker page to set order.  You can also set delays via advanced view)

2 hours ago, zoggy said:

I tried to add it via extra parameters like: --depends_on="mariadb"

But that breaks the container, as its an invalid flag.

depends_on is a "docker compose" flag and not a "docker" flag in itself, where unraid doesn't use docker compose natively

Edited by tjb_altf4
7 hours ago, Squid said:

Easy solution is to set maria to start up before kodi (drag and drop on the docker page to set order.  You can also set delays via advanced view)

This falls flat if you use the --restart="on-failure" because the start logic isnt taken into consideration.

Or if CA backup 'restores' the stuff stopped it doesnt do it in the configured order.

• 6 months later...

I use --restart="on-failure" for my kodi docker.

If I stop the docker manually via the unraid gui it stops cleanly. If CA backup tries to stop the docker it shuts down but then restarts as it views it as a failure... why this is the case I'm not sure. It seems like a bug with CA backup.

So basically I stopped using CA backup automatically and just go stop the dockers manually then fire off a manual CA backup. Not a great solution I know.