A little (lot) of guidance please.

don256us

I'm a PC guru with very little knowledge in network storage.  A problem I am currently working on.  Unraid was gifted to me by my son and I whole heartedly received this gift of network storage.  I have a basic license.

I plan to build with: 

4 x 2TB 7200 HDD

1 x 2TB 7200 HDD Parity

1 x 512GB SSD cache

My computer is:

Asus P6T7 WS

Intel Xeon E5520 (with a Hex core CPU in the wings for later swap-out)

24GB DDR3

I plan to use this array for media storage along with Plex to watch my "stuff".  I also plan to load this machine with GPUs for Folding at home in a VM.  This machine is caseless at the moment.  It is running in a cool basement.  I will keep the drives in a drive cage and away from the hot GPUs.

What tips can you lend to help me learn, build and maintain this setup.

55 minutes ago, don256us said:

I'm a PC guru with very little knowledge in network storage.  A problem I am currently working on.  Unraid was gifted to me by my son and I whole heartedly received this gift of network storage.  I have a basic license.

I plan to build with: 

4 x 2TB 7200 HDD

1 x 2TB 7200 HDD Parity

1 x 512GB SSD cache

My computer is:

Asus P6T7 WS

Intel Xeon E5520 (with a Hex core CPU in the wings for later swap-out)

24GB DDR3

I plan to use this array for media storage along with Plex to watch my "stuff".  I also plan to load this machine with GPUs for Folding at home in a VM.  This machine is caseless at the moment.  It is running in a cool basement.  I will keep the drives in a drive cage and away from the hot GPUs.

What tips can you lend to help me learn, build and maintain this setup.

It looks to be ok without a deep search on all items. 

I would use the ssd as your appdata (dockers) drive. On this drive, Plex can run along side other dockers I am sure you will want to play with. Even Folding@home is on a docker, so no need for a VM.

I don't have much of anything else except have fun and enjoy Unraid.