Array Backup Questions

So I've been running Unraid for 7 years now over multiple hardware iterations and have about 12TB of data.  Over the years I've lost data (nothing critical, mostly media) that has made the wife a little leary of storing her personal stuff (and our family pics) on it, and I don't blame her.  So now, I'm looking to implement a backup solution.  I'm already using CA Backup for my appdata and usb, but want to backup the whole array to my own offsite server.  The offsite server will be windows 2016 (or would Unraid be better?).  Connection type: tbd (i'm trying to decide what kind of vpn solution, ideas?).  And the backup solution, I've seen several ideas here like duplicaty, using rsync, etc. What are some pros and cons with the different backup solutions for my setup?  

Hopefully, when my unraid is nice and backed up, we can start consolidating all our storage (getting off of all our externals and such).

thanks!