[SOLVED] Can I move a drive to a new slot in unRaid?

When I first started my unRaid system, I just started plugging in drives willy nilly. But now my OCD has kicked in and I would really like to have the disks have some meaning. So Disk1-5 will always be for my personal files share (these disks are PRO level drives, very reliable), and Disk 6-24 will be for Media share (random seagates, etc, expecting failures on any one of these within a year type of thing). 

When I set these up though, my Pro drive is 3, 6, and 12, 13, 14. I really want these to be Disk 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

When I stopped my array and attempted to change the Disks around inside of unraid, it gave me a warning that the disk didn't match parity, and it would rebuild the disk based on parity! This scared me so I stopped.

Do I have to forever live with my disks being labeled as 3,6,12,13,14 in unraid?

Also, is there any plugin that lets me "map" my disks, like I have a 24 JBOD server, I would really like to say "Disk 1 = this physical slot on my server on a map". ( found this plugin, looks exactly what I had imagined.

Edited by glompy

If you like to re-order the disks, then parity 2 will be invalid, this can't avoid.

So, quite simple,

- power off

- Reoder all disk in the physical slot which you want ( you can do this in first or in last step )

- power on

- stop array

- execute "new config" with "retain" all

- re-order all data disk

- don't touch parity 1

- unassign parity 2

- start array with check "parity valid"

- stop array and add back parity 2 disk, then start array and rebuild parity 2

That's all.

Edited by Benson

If no parity 2, then all data disk could freely reorder and no need rebuild anything.

- power off

- Reoder all disk in the physical slot which you want ( you can do this in first or in last step )

- power on

- stop array

- re-order all data disk

- don't touch parity 1

Edited by Benson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Can I move a drive to a new slot in unRaid?
  • 2 years later...
On 5/29/2020 at 12:20 AM, Vr2Io said:

If no parity 2, then all data disk could freely reorder and no need rebuild anything.

- power off

- power on

- stop array

- re-order all data disk

- don't touch parity 1

A few years later, so apologies for reviving an old thread. But I just wanted to say that this post has helped me go through this procedure effortlessly, so thank you!

Edited by BlueBull
34 minutes ago, BlueBull said:

reviving an old thread

Since this thread doesn't completely explain it, let me fill in a few details.

If you have single parity, you can rearrange the disk order and parity will remain valid. But you must not make any other changes to assignments. Disks cannot be removed or added or parity will not be valid.

If you have dual parity, parity2 must be rebuilt since it depends on disk order. New Config/Trust parity without parity2, then add parity2 and it will rebuild.

• Thanks 1
On 1/25/2023 at 9:24 PM, trurl said:

Since this thread doesn't completely explain it, let me fill in a few details.

If you have single parity, you can rearrange the disk order and parity will remain valid. But you must not make any other changes to assignments. Disks cannot be removed or added or parity will not be valid.

If you have dual parity, parity2 must be rebuilt since it depends on disk order. New Config/Trust parity without parity2, then add parity2 and it will rebuild.

Thank you for this addition. Luckily I was aware of this but since I stumbled onto this thread after a google search, this will likely help people in the future that make that same stumble. Much appreciated

• 11 months later...