Plex Filling Docker image file

Hello community helpers!

Very new to all this please excuse my ignorance.  I was watching a plex movie last night and about 90min in i got email alerts from my server that the "disk" docker.img was at 70%...  few min later 75%...  then 80, 81, 82, 83, 84....  Stopped the movie and ran to a computer I could access the UNRaid web UI just in time to see the alert that the docker img "has returned to normal size???

I'm assuming i screwed something up and was transcoding into the docker image?

How do i go about checking if that was what was happening and how do i fix it?

Also...  what do you need from me to help narrow this down?

Thanks in advance! 

3 hours ago, Spider said:

was transcoding into the docker image

Sounds like a possibility

3 hours ago, Spider said:

what do you need from me to help narrow this down?

Tools - Diagnostics, attach complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post.

Also, docker run command for your plex docker as explained in this very first link in the Docker FAQ:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/57181-docker-faq/?do=findComment&comment=564345

Also, the transcode directory setting within the plex application.

When I try and map a path to /tmp in the docker i get an error as is mounted but not a share.  Im away from my home network at the moment but ill upload a screen shot later.

If i change the plex transcode directory to "/TRAN_DIR" that is set to key1 variable "/tmp" would that make it transcode to ram?

The settings i have about are from a tutorial that i believe was put out by spaceinvaderone but i cant seem to find it again to link it here.

Or should i just scrap everything I've tried and do like it says here?

https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-plex-transcoding-and-ram-disks/625#unraid

Or finally just realize that i only have 8gb of ram, the "save the SSD wear" is probably crap, and just let it fill the docker image as it sees fit.

After making the docker image 100GB I haven't gotten an email complaining about it being full.

• Like 1

I too have been having issues as of late. Plex sits arounf 423mb used then spikes to 7.4G then 14G, etc. I found that the /tmp dir was the culprit.

I found an article that states the developers are aware of it and is related to the recent  "Skip Intro” feature. That being said, it mentioned setting the following setting to never: (Settings - Server - Library - ‘Generate intro video markers’ set to “never” until this issue is fixed. I didn't set mine to never, rather i added an additional Path (below).

I also created an additional Path to /tmp that resides outside of the docker image, see below for my settings. I believe this will only need to be done temporarily until the real issue is resolved.

-MW

plex-2.PNG

plex-3.PNG

• 2 years later...

So, I don't know If this is the right Thread for it but it was quite similar to the issue, I am having currently.

Whenever I try to download a movie to one of my devices, i.e iPhone or something similiar, the VDisk Image on which the docker for plex runs, fills up. Completely. paralell to that, the download fails too.
The VDisk Image Size is 60GB, so when I try to download a movie with 45Gb in Size, it works. If I try to download a movie with 80GB, for example, it fills up the image, spits out warnings without an end in sight and then, when the vdisk has returned to normal size, the download has crashed.
Has anyone encountered something similar like that?

23 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

How can i check if plex is transcoding to the RAM? Is there a possibility?

When transcoding is taking place., check in whatever location you have transcoding set to (/tmp or wherever the RAM location is).

When transcoding is taking place, there will be a Transcode/Sessions folder and the transcoded files are created real time in the sessions folder.

49 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

When transcoding is taking place., check in whatever location you have transcoding set to (/tmp or wherever the RAM location is).

When transcoding is taking place, there will be a Transcode/Sessions folder and the transcoded files are created real time in the sessions folder.

Thats the point... i have only one - under my cache SSD - but this is empty.

(\\10.10.10.250\cache\appdata\plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Cache\Transcode\Sessions)

When i look under /tmp, there is nothing... so i am a little bit confused 🤣

I get also this fancy mails:

unRAID Alert [HORUS] - Docker image disk utilization of 100%

unRAID Notice [HORUS] - Docker image disk utilization returned to normal level

In my case the gap is ~1min between both mails. This happens 3-4x per year...

Edited by Zonediver
5 hours ago, trurl said:

Plex prepares downloads in the same place it does transcodes. How do you have transcoding setup?

Thanks for the reply: It is set to /tmp. And as far as I know, it does transcode in RAM.
What makes me question all of that is just the fact that when I try to download a movie onto my phone in ORIGINAL quality I get warnings from unraid that my vdisk fills up but only with large movies, with smaller ones it does work. but even if's using RAM I've only got 32GB of Ram, so why does it work sometimes and sometimes not?

If you catch my drift, so to speak.

1 hour ago, Zonediver said:

I get also this fancy mails:

unRAID Alert [HORUS] - Docker image disk utilization of 100%

unRAID Notice [HORUS] - Docker image disk utilization returned to normal level

In my case the gap is ~1min between both mails. This happens 3-4x per year...

I can relate to the Notifications/Mails thing, I get them too. and when it fills up

delteaxray, 

Post a pic of your Plex docker config file that shows all of your mount points. Lets start there and see if we can figure it our from there.

Notice the TMP and Transcode mount points are housed on devices outside of the docker image file and reside on the main array (or wherever you want them so long as not in the docker image file location). This keeps the docker image file from growing such as yours is now.

Here is mine for reference:

1570145502_Screenshot2023-01-31at3_29_02PM.thumb.png.23ae7f785e9a7b628087fc25d4d88a1f.png

2 hours ago, Zonediver said:

When i look under /tmp, there is nothing... so i am a little bit confused 🤣

/tmp is often the generic way of specifying transcoding to RAM. I don't know how you have it setup.

In my system, I transcode to /tmp/PlexRamScratch which has a size limit of 16GB.

image.thumb.png.e27d15fee94767a63fba52801d1411cd.png

While a movie is hw transcoding

image.png.fad4080709044aaae3939cdbed408702.png

I see this activity in the designated transcode location of /tmp/PlexRamScratch/Transcode/Sessions

image.thumb.png.c0a22750c9611aa9dc924b425a10cede.png

Additional plex-transcode files are created as needed.

If no other transcode location (RAM, SSD, etc.) is specified, or is improperly configured, in the Plex docker container configuration, Plex defaults to cache\appdata\plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Cache\Transcode\Sessions for transcoding which could cause appdata location utilization to get very high.  When the transcode ends, the files are deleted and utilization goes back down.

Edited by Hoopster
19 hours ago, mfwade said:

delteaxray, 

Post a pic of your Plex docker config file that shows all of your mount points. Lets start there and see if we can figure it our from there.

Notice the TMP and Transcode mount points are housed on devices outside of the docker image file and reside on the main array (or wherever you want them so long as not in the docker image file location). This keeps the docker image file from growing such as yours is now.

Here is mine for reference:

1570145502_Screenshot2023-01-31at3_29_02PM.thumb.png.23ae7f785e9a7b628087fc25d4d88a1f.png

Thanks for the reply, I was busy during the day.

I have the feeling I'm using a different Plex Docker build 'cause mine doesn't look remotely like yours.

These are all the mounts I've been running

But just as a note, that I remembered now: Whenever I do transcoding, in this case it runs purely on the cpu side of things, I do not get the Issue with the filling up of the image. Funny enough

2063133495_Screenshot2023-02-01at16-52-30Server_UpdateContainer.thumb.png.965d0c762be5952d35394cc916cb9738.png

Edited by deltaexray
On 2/5/2023 at 4:03 AM, ShadeZeRO said:

I'm having a similar issue.  Not sure which files are triggering my docker image to fill up.
Some videos play perfectly fine and use my transcode to RAM configuration, other just want to fill up the image.

From the back of my mind: I can remember something like that too. Specially with VC1 encoded Disks that get transcoded, I got a Notficiation the the image was full. But it was random as hell and only came back when trying to download movies to the iPhone. So you are not alone :D