UNRAID will only boot to GUI Mode

hey guys I have been unraid last 6 months with out an issue. I swapped my system to a new case and added new drive. 

With first boot from doing that i booted to gui mode and did preclear and format and all green. Only issue was a vm that had pci controller in prior and isn't at the moment.

After shut down to boot up in just unraid it does first ok then it just reboots

Cheers

Taz

20200530_105037.jpg

6 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

One other thing you could check is to see if it still boots up in the GUI mode.  (More as a point of information...) 

Hey ill do a chkdsk on that.

Sorry what do you mean with the quoted part? I can boot to GUI mode currently.

Cheers 

Taz

12 minutes ago, Taza said:

Sorry what do you mean with the quoted part? I can boot to GUI mode currently.

That fact that you could still boot into the GUI was not clear to me.  The problem is that you just can not do a default boot.  

My guess would be that one of the bz* files is corrupted.   You could download version 6.8.3 from the website, unzip the file and copy just the bz* files to the flash drive and overwrite all of the existing files there. 

image.thumb.png.4eed1b0b4273914698d2141fc0373643.png

These two files indicate that chkdsk found problems in the file system on your flash disk and attempted to repair them (unsuccessfully, by the way).  You can safely delete them. 

Boot up in the GUI and get a printout of the drive assignments on the 'Main' tab of GUI. 

Shut the server down. 

Now make a copy of the entire flash drive in a new folder on your PC.  (A 'backup' is a better term.)  I would create this folder in Your 'Documents' folder and keep this backup until the problem is fixed!

Put the flash drive into your PC.  Delete all of the files in the root of the flash drive that that begin with bz

Earlier, you downloaded the 6.8.3 version from LimeTech.  Now, unzip that file into a new folder by 'right-clicking' on it and look for that option in the box.  (Sorry but I have 7-zip installed on my Windows machine as a zip handler.) 

From the root of that folder, you want to copy all of the files that begin with bz (10 files) to the root of the flash drive.  Eject the flash drive from the PC (This guarantees that the write finished properly before physically removing it) using the 'Safely remove hardware and Eject Media' Tool found in the 'Hidden icons' on the right side of the Windows Taskbar. 

Now try and reboot the server.

Edited by Frank1940

Hey Frank1940

Thanks so much for that awesome write up. 

I didn't know that tho 2 files were the scan. Will delete.

I ended up resetting bios and removing the gpu gpu and it booted to unraid surprisingly.

I shut down and reinstalled gpu and rebooted and it was happy to go to first option. 

Had a few issues with the vm but I deleted it and recreated it and so far it is stable.

Thank you so for your help :)

Taz