[SOLVED] Dell H310 HBA...very strange problems

Hi,

So I bought a 2nd Dell HBA to expand the storage capacity (as using a new case now).

I stuck with the same model that I have already which appreciate need to apply a tape mod to work with my motherboard but that's fine.

On adding the 2nd card have has some strange problems..

When adding it something strange happens...

When I boot Unraid all seems to work fine but will not launch the Windows VM automatically. Logging into the WebGUI the format theme is different than what I had set.

All the drives appear fine however VMs, Dockers etc are not available and when trying to setup have error messages.

Shutdown, remove the card..all works fine again (minus the new drives not being available).

Any ideas?

media-diagnostics-20200530-1102.zip

Edited by djglenn
File attached

Hi Squid, IOMMU grouping and IDs identical on both with exception with the additional card has 2 additional lines.. one for SAS controller, the other and additional PCI bridge (both in their own individual groups).

One other thing I have noticed with the new card added I get an error that the UPS cannot be detected (via USB). Without it it's detected fine..

Could it be interfering with the USB?

Flash drive problems:

May 30 10:50:01 Media kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29352) failed
May 30 10:50:01 Media kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29353) failed
May 30 10:50:01 Media kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29354) failed
May 30 10:50:01 Media kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29355) failed

Run chkdsk to see if it helps.

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Squid said:

All your symptoms imply that, and the VM not starting also implies that.  If / when you try and start the VM manually does it start or return a pop up error

So on the Web GUI the VM and Docker tabs are not visible and when I go to settings to enable VMs it says :

Warning: parse_ini_file(/boot/config/domain.cfg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/include/libvirt_helpers.php on line 466

Strange thing is the VM actually booted this time to screen (GPU pass through)...

Also, the Unraid USB is visible on Windows File Manager where as on a normal working boot it's not..

Edited by djglenn
25 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Flash drive problems:

May 30 10:50:01 Media kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29352) failed
May 30 10:50:01 Media kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29353) failed
May 30 10:50:01 Media kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29354) failed
May 30 10:50:01 Media kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 29355) failed

Run chkdsk to see if it helps.

See attached diagnostic file with the new HBA removed 

media-diagnostics-20200530-1216.zip

Without the HBA this audio device is being passed-trough:

0d:00.3 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-0fh) HD Audio Controller [1022:1457]
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8733]
    Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

With the HBA the IDs change and instead you're passing-though this device:

0d:00.3 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Zeppelin USB 3.0 Host controller [1022:145f]
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8747]
    Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

• Thanks 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Dell H310 HBA...very strange problems