Win10VM - changed "active" disk and now won't boot

Hi there. 

Unraid 6.8.3

Windows 10 VM running well with 60GB of space. 

I wanted to increase VM disk space, so I shut down the VM, selected it, increased size from 60GB to 100GB, restarted. 

Windows> Disk Management> selected c:> expand volume - this option was greyed out. 

It showed

1. 100MB partition. 2. C  3. Healthy Recovery 4: unallocated. 

I searched around and tried a few options (restart, create new volume from 4, etc. and had no luck. 

At point one (the last point?) I right clicked on "C" and selected "Active Partition". The warning came up "if there's no OS you may not be able to boot". 

I continued, with the intention of switching "active" back to the "100MB" partition. In the intervening few seconds, I tried to "expand volume" on C to see if it would work. 

I then restarted BEFORE I set the 100MB back to "active". 100% my mistake. 

So now on VM boot I receive a "BOOTMGR is missing" warning, press ALT CTRL DELETE which is just a boot loop. 

Searching online suggests using a bootable Windows recovery DVD or USB, booting from that, and then selecting the 100MB as the active partition. 

With my installation being a VM, I'm not sure how to do this. 

I've searched the forums and reddit and so far the solutions for similar error have not worked (changing virtio, pressing a key to access a different Boot selection. 

Any/all advice would be helpful. 

And, if I must recreate the VM, that's fine, too. I won't lose any data, would just rather fix than start over. 

Thanks so much.

• 3 months later...

Were you ever able to fix this?  

I'm having the same problem with one of my VMs.

In my case, I expanded the volume and everything was working properly.  However, once I rebooted, I started getting the BOOTMGR is missing message.

Edited by yyc321
Additional info
  • 2 weeks later...