Unraid directly to VM

Hello, 

I am running the latest version of unraid. I am trying to make a gaming system for my dad, with unraid running the redundancy in the background. I have an AMD Radeon 550 running and an i7-2600. When I attempt to pass-through the graphics card to the Windows 10 VM, which is what I am using for my Unraid output as well, upon starting I don't get a VNC option, and the output doesn't switch to my VM but instead stays un unraid. 

My end goal is to have a Windows machine that he can game on, and doesn't feel any different from his regular pc. How do I get the graphics card to pass through? I don't care whether or not I maintain the ability to run the Unraid boot up sequence locally. 

I am a beginner so please use terms I can understand. Thank you for your help. 

3 hours ago, oromis95 said:

latest version of unraid.

So is that 6.8.3 or 6.9.0-beta1 (or 6.9.0-beta12)?

3 hours ago, oromis95 said:

When I attempt to pass-through the graphics card to the Windows 10 VM, which is what I am using for my Unraid output as well, upon starting I don't get a VNC option

To be expected and by design.  When using passthrough, there's no reason to have a virtual video card for VNC.

Have you "stubbed" the video card?  Post your diagnostics...

34 minutes ago, DarphBobo said:

So is that 6.8.3 or 6.9.0-beta1 (or 6.9.0-beta12)?

To be expected and by design.  When using passthrough, there's no reason to have a virtual video card for VNC.

Have you "stubbed" the video card?  Post your diagnostics...

My current version is 6.8.3. I'm not sure what stubbing means. I have googled the term but without success. What I have done is split the videocard from the other devices in the pcie device list. I would like to make it so games can run smoothly, and as easily as possible for my dad who isn't the biggest tech guru. My motherboard video output doesn't work well which is why I originally bought a videocard, it just happened to be perfect for him because he wanted to run the latest flight simulator when it releases. 

familyserver-diagnostics-20200531-1622.zip

Hi there,

A few things you can try.  First and foremost, you need to get Unraid to be using the built-in graphics on your CPU.  This can be done by modifying your BIOS to force it to use the IGD (integrated graphics device) as opposed to your AMD card (the PCIe device).  Some motherboard's have poor BIOSes that don't let you choose this option, but rather, auto-detect based on what is physically attached to the video outputs on the machine.  In this case, you will need to have something attached to that on-board video in order to trick it to using that device for Unraid (and leave the other device detached).

• Like 1