Using “new config” tool

Hello,

Bit of a noob question. But don’t want to fook anything up royally by ploughing on regardless.

i have just replaced an old failing drive. I do not have a parity drive. I have read that I should use the “new config” tool, but reading the text of the tool i am a little confused.

when it states all disks appear as “New” disk what does this mean? To me a “New” disk requires preclear and i am sure that doesnt mean this.  Could someone clarify?

Cheers,

M0zz

No - all it means is that if the disk has never been used by Unraid before then it will be partitioned to UnRAID standards.    If it is previously used by Unraid then its contents are left intact.   Parity is also set to be invalid and thus need rebuilding.

note that preclear is NOT part of standard UnRAID and thus it is never REQUIRED that you run it although many use it as a stress test of a disk.

Yes, except that you reversed the order of the steps.   You first use New Config to get a unraid ready to accept drive changes and then Unassign the old drive and assign the new one.    You then start the array to commit the changes.    The new disk will probably mow show as unmountable and need formatting before it is ready to accept files.

• 3 months later...

I have a similar issue when I read the help clip.

I assigned a SSD (mistakenly) as a data drive and now need to remove it, thus leaving the slot open for a future drive.

I assume same process applies, unassign the drive, do the New Config and Preserve option?

Then rerun parity?

Is a restart needed, or other steps?

Will shares and data remain intact?

Stop array.

Tools - New Config, Preserve everything (uncertain of the wording).

Unassign the disk to be removed. You can also rearrange array disks if you want but be sure you don't assign a data disk to a parity slot.

DO NOT check the box saying parity is valid, because it isn't and has to be rebuilt.

Start array to begin parity rebuild.

All shares and data on remaining disks remains intact. The data from the disk you removed will no longer be in the array or in the shares.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 years later...

20240227_024907.thumb.jpg.48927edcd5356a16b02a00c97270b68e.jpgOk so I had to chang my motherboard.  I'm missing 3,5,1 I think I need to do a new config but I have 1 issue.  Drives 4,7 are just disabled ran smart extended test they come back completed without errors. I don't want to loss the data on drives 4,7 how should proceed?

Edited by Crashdogy