Backup Plex Unassigned Device

Hi - sorry if this has been asked before, but my search hasn't found anything close enough to my own scenario.

I currently have my plex appdata hosted on an unassigned device (ssd) and I would like to find the best backup method.  All of my other docker containers are on my cache drive and are backed up by the CA Appdata Backup. 

I feel like I have a couple options for backing up and I'm not sure what will work best.  Either 1) use syncthing or 2) do up a custom rsync user script.

If I go with syncthing, I can't seem to find a way to tell it to only sync once a day at 4am.  Also, is it a major issue for Plex if the container doesn't shut down while the sync is running? Finally, is syncthing the best third party option for a backup in this scenario?

If I go with option 2 - I'm mostly concerned that I'm going to F* it up, but I don't know if my concerns are worthwhile.  I found an example of a script here - just not sure if this has been executed correctly.

Thanks for any insight!

• 5 months later...
On 6/3/2020 at 7:58 AM, noja said:

Hi - sorry if this has been asked before, but my search hasn't found anything close enough to my own scenario.

I currently have my plex appdata hosted on an unassigned device (ssd) and I would like to find the best backup method.  All of my other docker containers are on my cache drive and are backed up by the CA Appdata Backup. 

I feel like I have a couple options for backing up and I'm not sure what will work best.  Either 1) use syncthing or 2) do up a custom rsync user script.

If I go with syncthing, I can't seem to find a way to tell it to only sync once a day at 4am.  Also, is it a major issue for Plex if the container doesn't shut down while the sync is running? Finally, is syncthing the best third party option for a backup in this scenario?

If I go with option 2 - I'm mostly concerned that I'm going to F* it up, but I don't know if my concerns are worthwhile.  I found an example of a script here - just not sure if this has been executed correctly.

Thanks for any insight!

Hey man, I am trying to do the same thing and im not sure how to do about it. Which method did you end up doing?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 12:38 AM, mkayze said:

Hey man, I am trying to do the same thing and im not sure how to do about it. Which method did you end up doing?

Hey! So I've basically decided to give up on cloning the contents of the ssd.  What I've done is remapped the folder where Plex itself stores it's automated backups to an NFS share from my backup location.  Essentially, I added an NFS share to the container called "/databasebackups" Then in Plex itself, I told it to backup to that folder.

Essentially, I now have a backup of the database including watch stats, libraries, etc. - but if that SSD ever takes a dive, I'll have to re-download all the images, posters, metadata.  Does that make sense?  Given that I'm kinda comfortable with that, I've also started using that same method for all my programs that have an integrated backup feature - Sonarr, Radarr, etc.  While those are also covered in the CA Appdata Backup - I like the idea of being able to restore one item at a time, rather than the entire appdata folder that CA forces you to do.