which xeon to use?

currently have a server running on a xeon 1620 v2 in a lenovo s30 and seems to work pretty well except for the lack of cores. so trying to decide what cpu to upgrade to seeing as they are pretty cheap on ebay. i run a few dockers and a few vm's. may make a vm for guests to play games on in the future if possible. the question of the ages is core count or speed? Xeon E5-2690 v2 10 core 3 GHz boost 3.6 GHz, Xeon E5-2697 v2 12 core 2.7 GHz boost 3.5 GHz, or Xeon E5-2667 v2 8 core 3.3 GHz boost 4 GHz? not sure the difference in speed would really be noticeable in a vm or not especially if i can assign a vm more cores. any suggestions? this is a link to compatible hardware if anyone has any other suggestions https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/withdrawnbook/S30.pdf 

just not sure if the speed will really even be noticable especially if i can assign vm's a full 4 cores instead of 2-3 cores

image.png.85d19e8bfef747e8a57467cfb236aa06.pngimage.png.ebb543e15d28c98e6f0df9e871333182.png

• 2 months later...