Sonarr/Radarr/Jackett vs Sickbeard/Medus vs other solutions

Nanobug

Hello unRAID community.

I've been looking at the things in the title.

First of all, I can't decide what's the best use, and I can't find out much about them so I can tell if there's a noticeable difference.
So the first question is.
What is "best" (I know it's relative) to use? 

Best for me, is not necessarily the most advanced features. I just need a solution that works.

Second questions is.

Where can I find a proper guide and/or information to set it up?

What I've found so far, doesn't really fulfill a proper setup.

Can you help, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks. I just wanted more info on it as well, so I could make a proper decision.

It works, somewhat now.

I have a bunch of questions though.

Does it automatically grab new episodes of lists that I've set it to monitor?
And what if I start on a new show, will it automatically start grabbing that as well?

What about grabbing a whole season of a show, can it do that?

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2020 at 12:45 PM, Nanobug said:

Thanks. I just wanted more info on it as well, so I could make a proper decision.

It works, somewhat now.

I have a bunch of questions though.

Does it automatically grab new episodes of lists that I've set it to monitor?
And what if I start on a new show, will it automatically start grabbing that as well?

What about grabbing a whole season of a show, can it do that?

I am also on the sonarr/radarr/jackett and to answer your questions.. yes, yes, and yes.  Provided that you have set them up with index searchers from public/private torrent/news sites.  Once you add a show you can have it monitor for any missing episodes, which will include every existing season/episode and all future episodes.

As far as correcting sonarr, when you are adding a show first of all you should be able to select the show you want.. if you put in "History" it should show you all the shows named history and you select the correct one.  HIStory came up as the first choice for me also, but History 101 is the fifth choice in the list.

Otherwise right below the box where it says "You can also search by tvdbid using the tvdb: prefixes." you could enter the show as tvdb:381080 and have it come up.

17 hours ago, Energen said:

I am also on the sonarr/radarr/jackett and to answer your questions.. yes, yes, and yes.  Provided that you have set them up with index searchers from public/private torrent/news sites.  Once you add a show you can have it monitor for any missing episodes, which will include every existing season/episode and all future episodes.

As far as correcting sonarr, when you are adding a show first of all you should be able to select the show you want.. if you put in "History" it should show you all the shows named history and you select the correct one.  HIStory came up as the first choice for me also, but History 101 is the fifth choice in the list.

Otherwise right below the box where it says "You can also search by tvdbid using the tvdb: prefixes." you could enter the show as tvdb:381080 and have it come up.

My issue is that there's 2 index searchers, since I'm Danish, and apparently it can confuse itself between English and Norwegian language or something (a Danish guy explained it somewhere), so I have to click "automatically search" for it to grab things. It still makes my life easier, but it's not always the same profile search I have to use, which is a bit annoying.

I'll have a look when I get home again on using in on tvdid.

A bit off topic: Can you force Plex to do the same?

I used to run Sickbeard but after the drama between the original dev for Sickrage picking fights w/ the Sickbeard folks that forked I just moved on to Sonarr/Radarr/Jackett.  As mentioned above, they just 'work'.  And no dev drama.  But try them all out, see what's right for you.

3 hours ago, Jason Harris said:

I used to run Sickbeard but after the drama between the original dev for Sickrage picking fights w/ the Sickbeard folks that forked I just moved on to Sonarr/Radarr/Jackett.  As mentioned above, they just 'work'.  And no dev drama.  But try them all out, see what's right for you.

I already use them, and I'm 95 % happy. I'm just having some "issues" I can't figure out.

• Like 1

Yea, sickrage / sickbeard is a great tool.  And I may have mixed them up above - I forget which one was first.  I ran sickrage for quite some time but for my particular requirements I found much more compatibility with Sonarr.  But again, everyone has different requirements, so gotta go with what works best for you!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sonarr and Radarr has ONE incredibly major deal braker for most non-English natives.

They DO NOT support subtitles AT ALL. You are forced to use a third party Python application (Bazarr) to deal with auto subtitle downloading.

It is completely unacceptable that such a major feature is missing! It's not like it is even hard to do. But, since Radarr and Sonarr are written in Mono and compiled, it would really suit the apps to offer built in subtitle handling, as Bazarr runs in an interpreted language, increasing the stress on whatever machine it runs on.

For now, I have my apps on a Synology NAS which btw does NOT support Bazarr, and Bazarr on my windows machine.