Transferring data from another PC

I have officially decided to give unraid a go after much consideration. I have an 8tb drive from my current Windows system I would like to use in my unraid build. This drive is currently storing all my media and is set up as NFTS.

New system will have 3x12tb and a 500gb ssd. Using one 12tb drive for parity and the 500gb for cache.

How do I go about transferring the data from my current drive over to the new system, so that I can then format the 8tb drive and add it into the array?

Once your new system will be "live" and running, you could create a User Share (i.e.: Data) and then copy everything from the Windows Explorer or use Robocopy.exe in a CMD window on your Windows device.   Also, You should disable the protection while copying the first big chunck of data because you don't want to be slowdown by the parity that will have to be calculated at each write.  After all is copied, then you activate the protection.

1 hour ago, Pducharme said:

Once your new system will be "live" and running, you could create a User Share (i.e.: Data) and then copy everything from the Windows Explorer or use Robocopy.exe in a CMD window on your Windows device.   Also, You should disable the protection while copying the first big chunck of data because you don't want to be slowdown by the parity that will have to be calculated at each write.  After all is copied, then you activate the protection.

Is it possible to put the 8tb drive in the system and transfer it all locally for faster transfer speeds? Or is copying over the network really my only option?

5 hours ago, shadow013 said:

Is it possible to put the 8tb drive in the system and transfer it all locally for faster transfer speeds? Or is copying over the network really my only option?

Assuming a gigabit network, the speed isn't going to be much different.

Personally I'd do it over the network, less risk.

17 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Assuming a gigabit network, the speed isn't going to be much different.

Personally I'd do it over the network, less risk.

So I installed Krusader and started transferring over some files. I started with just my music since it's a smaller collection than the rest of my media. Using Krusader, I transferred the data from my PC over to the media folder. I just now set up "media" under user shares. How do I get the files into the correct place?

14 minutes ago, shadow013 said:

So I installed Krusader and started transferring over some files. I started with just my music since it's a smaller collection than the rest of my media. Using Krusader, I transferred the data from my PC over to the media folder. I just now set up "media" under user shares. How do I get the files into the correct place?

Not nearly enough information to even start figuring out what you did.

Krusader is a docker container, it has mappings that can be configured in multiple ways, the mapping you specifically have configured will determine where the data shows up.

With that in mind, the statement "using krusader, i transferred the data", doesn't even begin to explain what the source and destination of that transfer were.

Since I don't know where you put the data, I don't know how to tell you to move it to the "correct" place, on the array directly that would be /mnt/user/media since you said you set up a user share "media". Depending on your krusader mapping, that may show up somewhere totally different inside the krusader container.

To begin to untangle this, I suggest telling us your krusader path mappings, the connection method for the source drive, the source path inside krusader, and the destination path inside krusader for the transfer so far.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

Not nearly enough information to even start figuring out what you did.

Krusader is a docker container, it has mappings that can be configured in multiple ways, the mapping you specifically have configured will determine where the data shows up.

With that in mind, the statement "using krusader, i transferred the data", doesn't even begin to explain what the source and destination of that transfer were.

Since I don't know where you put the data, I don't know how to tell you to move it to the "correct" place, on the array directly that would be /mnt/user/media since you said you set up a user share "media". Depending on your krusader mapping, that may show up somewhere totally different inside the krusader container.

To begin to untangle this, I suggest telling us your krusader path mappings, the connection method for the source drive, the source path inside krusader, and the destination path inside krusader for the transfer so far.

So I opened up Krusader and connected to my main PC using a SMB share. Krusader starts my file system in a folder called "home", then I am able to go up a directory, which says "nobody", then up again where it shows a larger amount of folders. In there I transferred data to a folder that already existed called "media".

I then realized I probably needed a user share set up for media, so I did that but it shows nothing under the files there. It shows /mnt/user/media, but if I try to navigate to /mnt/ in krusader, there's nothing there.

What's the best way to transfer this correctly? It's not a lot of data so far so I can easily start over if I did something wrong and need to do it another way

Can't you just physically move the drive into your Unraid and copy it locally?  I used this script that does mdsum checks as well. Is the fastest and more reliable method in my opinion.

SCRIPT COPY:

#!/bin/sh

set -e

SRC=/mnt/osx/

DST=/mnt/user/osx/

TMPFILE=`mktemp`

trap "rm $TMPFILE" EXIT

rsync -a "$SRC" "$DST"

find "$SRC" | xargs sha256sum > $TMPFILE

while read FILE

do

echo "$FILE" | sed -e s/"$SRC"/"$DST"/ | sha256sum --status -c -