unraid randomly causes a conflicting IP address across the network and whole network goes down

Hi,

At times unraid randomly causes a conflicting IP address across the network and my network goes down. I have to hard shut down the unraid box to get the network back up. 

My unraid IP is being set via my router as a reserved IP I've chosen. Before I had the IP being set via the reserved IP, I had my unraid network.cfg file set as dhcp = no and was specifying the IP in the network.cfg file.

The IP conflict issues happens randomly either way I do it. Either by reserved IP or setting the static IP in the network.cfg.

Any ideas what may be going on? 

As a note, I have another open forum post below. I will be looking into this today. I call this out, as I am unsure of the conflicting IP has anything to do with this issue or not.

Some routers need reserved addresses to be within the IP address range that they can allocate to devices (my Asus router does this).  Others require reserved addresses to be outside the range of addresses that they can allocate (I have seen this in the past, I think on a Draytek router).  But if Unraid is getting the address from your router and some time later you see a clash, then either the router is giving out a duplicate (unlikely unless it's not checking against it's own lists) or you have another device connecting to the network that has a manually configured IP address which clashes.  So check other devices for manually set adresses.

I would also check the IP range configured for DHCP in the router settings against the reserved addresses - and if it allows, set it so that the DHCP IP address range excludes the reserved addresses.  If it doesn't allow it, then that's not the problem.

One other possibility - you may have a range extender or mesh network where one of those devices also has a DHCP server which needs to be disabled.  Some Eero mesh devices can do this if set to Auto rather than Bridge modes, for example.   

Edited by S80_UK

unraid is still crashing my entire network randomly after I have done the below. I'm almost to the point I want to start over with unraid using the guide in this post.

I have done the following and none have helped the issue. My entire network connection goes down and once I hard boot the unraid box, everything comes back up. It then repeats randomly - losing network connection and then I have to hard boot it again.

• reset my router (it's an ARRIS router provided by my ISP Comcast).
  • deleted the network.cfg file in flash/config
  • Changed unraid network settings from fixed IP to DHCP.
  • installed the latest BIOS on the unraid motherboard (ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING Version)

Attached is my complete diagnostics .zip if anyone can glean anything from that.

unraid-diagnostics-20200614-0957.zip

I've narrowed it down to the dockers causing the IP conflict after some time. My hunch is that it is Plex causing it, but I have no idea why.

I have Plex, krusader, and noIP installed as dockers. The raid and the dockers work fine for a day or so, and then (usually in the morning), we discover that we have no internet throughout the house and I have to power down the unraid box to fix it. At the moment, the unraid box is set as dhcp in network settings. I have assigned the unraid box to a specific reserved IP address in my router.

I have tried the following:

1. setting unraid with a static IP in unraid network settings and the assigned IP is outside of my router DHCP range.
  2. unraid with a dynamic IP in unraid network settings and then updating my router settings with a reserved IP address for the unraid box via the unraid mac address.

Attached are screenshots of my docker setups. As a test, I will disable all dockers for a few days and see what occurs. If the network remains up, I will then enable 1 docker and then see what happens after a couple of days. Then repeat, enabling the other 2 dockers I have.

I will reply back with updates on the testing, but if anyone has any ideas why the docker(s) would cause this, that would be greatly appreciated.EoGZkuY4TW.thumb.jpg.a4902cd9f0d2da7162a5de78ffb8e94a.jpgInkedJnSCBKFJqi_LI.thumb.jpg.fea09b84e339ab731fbdb6e6d80721df.jpg

1 hour ago, PeteAsking said:

You can in the same way you access your crusader docker. There is a nat mapping similar to that. 

Got it, I think. Changed Plex docker to Bridge, then setup new container ports for all of the Plex required ports. I can access the web gui now, but access from mobile device with Plex app and also from streaming devices (EG: Roku on TVs) seems slower. Sometimes receive the "Not directly connected to server" message.

18 hours ago, pixelgraft said:

At the moment, the unraid box is set as dhcp in network settings. I have assigned the unraid box to a specific reserved IP address in my router.

Anytime, one DHCP at one network domain, if router not provide DHCP function, there are not much reason need reserved MAC address at router.

I never got network problem causs by Unraid but I never use Unraid to provide DHCP service.