Force Unraid to accept old Parity drive

So I was upgrading my parity drive to a bigger one, from 4TB to 8TB. Everything was working well on the array before the upgrade.

I shut down the server, took out the parity drive and replaced it with the new one and started the server. 

I chose the new parity drive for the server and started the rebuild. As soon as the rebuild started another HDD failed. 

I tried switching the parity drive back but the server would not take it because it thinks it is a new drive. (see screenshot)

Is there anyway to make the server forcefully accept the old parity drive so I can switch the failed drive with a new one to rebuild it?

Too many wrong or missing disks.png

Edited by kjarri

It's possible to re-use the old parity (but note that unless you did the rebuild in maintenance mode it will be a little out of sync due to mounting all the disks, though usually not a big deal) but the disable disk looks fine, most likely a connection issue, do you have the logs from when it happened?

53 minutes ago, kjarri said:

How ever I switched both the power cable and SATA cable with a working drive and that made no difference.

That's expected, once a disk gets disable it stays disable, you can still try to re-sync the new parity with that disk, but do it in maintenance mode to avoid any more changes.

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply
-Check all assignments are correct

-check the "maintenance mode" checkbox and start the array, depending on what Unraid release you're using you might need to click "sync" to begin the parity sync, if there are errors again post diags.

Okay, I tried to start it with the old parity drive but it warned me that it would wipe all data from it so I decided not to add it to the array for now, just started it in maintenance mode without parity. It seems that the drive started up so I started a Read check instead. That will take about half a day so hopefully that works. If that goes well I'm going to add the old parity drive, do the parity check and if that works do the parity drive switch again. Hopefully that works. Thanks for the help. 

9 minutes ago, kjarri said:

I tried to start it with the old parity drive but it warned me that it would wipe all data from it so I decided not to add it to the array for now

In case I wasn't clear I was saying to try again to re-syn parity with the new disk.

10 minutes ago, kjarri said:

so I started a Read check instead.

There's no much point in doing this, might as well try to sync parity (to the new disk), it will take the same time.

Okay sorry for the misunderstanding. I stopped the Read check, switched out the old parity with the new parity and started again in maintenance mode. And started the parity sync. The hard drive is still active and operating normally for now. Lets see if the parity sync is able to finish.