How can I increase the video memory in an unRaid VM?

Using Virtual Machine Manager in Manjaro Linux,, I can edit the template and increase the video memory which will allow me to display my virtual machines at full 4K resolution.  When I examine the unRaid VM template of a virtual machine, I do not see any line which addresses the subject of video memory.

Is there a way to edit an unRaid VM template to increase the video memory and therefore allow full 4K resolution?

12 minutes ago, JohnSnyder said:

Using Virtual Machine Manager in Manjaro Linux,, I can edit the template and increase the video memory which will allow me to display my virtual machines at full 4K resolution.  When I examine the unRaid VM template of a virtual machine, I do not see any line which addresses the subject of video memory.

Is there a way to edit an unRaid VM template to increase the video memory and therefore allow full 4K resolution?

Hi

I would recommend installing the VIRT Manager docker. This provides much finer control over VM configuration. It also doesn't have the issue that unRaid native manager exhibits in that using the visual editor destroys custom XML changes.

Its a great tool that exposes more options for VMs and includes a display. It's gotten me out of quite a number of holes over the years.

You should be able to define the virtual GPU memory, or just use it as a guide for how to edit the unRaid XML manually, if you like.

vmmasnager.thumb.png.93ca404cd013fd6b02a26dff816ae936.png

Thank you very much, Meep!  I did install the Virt-Manager Docker, and when I ran it, it said I needed to install libvirtd.  I certainly don't want to mess up my unRaid installation.  If I install libvirtd and whatever else Virt-Manager might need, will this prevent me from creating and using built-in unRaid virtual machines?  Will installing the dependencies required by Virt-Manager in any way mess with my unRaid installation?

Thanks again!

I would suggest asking that question on the docker support thread. I don’t recall any such dependency requirements when I set up. However, I run both virt manager and unRAID vm manager and there is no conflict at all. Changes made in virt manager show up in unRAID vm xml, but get wiped if I use unRAID visual editor.

to be safe, get expert advice before proceeding.

y

Well, I got everything going (took a restart to do it), and I've changed my vgamem to 65536 and now I can display my virtual machine in 4K.  Problem solved!!
Hello can you explain how to connect to libvirt with the docker ? Thank you very much

Envoyé de mon HD1913 en utilisant Tapatalk

First of all, I downloaded the Virt_Manager docker by djaydev.  Then I went to the support site, and the very first post instructed me to do the following:

I followed what @dee31797 posted - here are the itemized steps:

turn on netcat-openbsd in Nerd Pack, apply, and restart computer

open the virt-manager docker GUI - you'll still have the error

in the Docker container, go File > Add Connection

Hypervisor: QEMU

Select connect to remote host over SSH

Hostname: the internal network IP of your server

Hit connect

It will then ask you to accept certificate, then for your unRaid password. Once cleared you're in

I'm now able to see what seems to be an expanded XML file and change that vgamem setting in the Video QXL area of the XML file.

• Like 2
First of all, I downloaded the Virt_Manager docker by djaydev.  Then I went to the support site, and the very first post instructed me to do the following:

Hit connect
It will then ask you to accept certificate, then for your unRaid password. Once cleared you're in

I'm now able to see what seems to be an expanded XML file and change that vgamem setting in the Video QXL area of the XML file.
Thank you very much i will try

Hit connect

I tested and it works. Thank you very much