[SOLVED] Ethernet Interface Down, No Internet, Accessible on Network - 6.8.3

Good day all,

I am a recent unRAID user and have been loving it so far.  However, over the last couple days I've had a weird problem that seems to have only progressed.  The issue at hand is I'm getting an ethernet interface down error when I go to the network settings, my registration can't authenticated, and I can't access CA.  In other words, my internet is down.  The weird part is that I am able to actively connect and mess with my server over the network.  I have already tried booting into Safe Mode, and the only difference is I don't see the ethernet interface down error because it says "System running in safe mode", but the error is still present within the network settings screen and the internet connection isn't working.

Here's some background and the chain of events which occurred, I know some of this may be correlation rather than causation but am unsure so I apologize for the wall of text.  I was connected without issue over WireGuard but couldn't access the internet while connected through my VPN even though I could connect to the devices on my unRAID network.  I was using Remote Tunnel and it wasn't working so I decided just to try VPN Remote Connection (don't recall the exact name).  When I went to save it, it kicked me off my VPN and I couldn't connect.  So, I connected to the (slow but usable) OpenVPN server hosted on my consumer router (Orbi if it matters) and access the server from there.  I was able to access the server but for some reason I was unable to save my changes within the WireGuard settings (everything else worked fine), so I tried to uninstall and re-install and once I uninstalled and rebooted I could no longer access the server (from WireGuard or OpenVPN).  I also noticed that I couldn't access my Home Assistant Docker or AirMessage running on my Mac VM...but here's where it gets weird.  Once I disconnected from my OpenVPN connection and was back on the internet without VPN my phone was suddenly connecting to my AirMessage server without issues so I tried repeating it a few times and it was inaccessible when connected to VPN.  The weird part is while my VM was connected to my phone just fine, my Home Assistant Docker and the WebGUI were completely inaccessible from VPN or in the case of the Docker from the greater internet.  When I got home, I did another reboot and the same issue was occurring.  I got busy and left it alone for a little bit.  When I later shut it off and brought it back up, it was unable to access the internet seemingly at all.  No CA access, and my registration key wouldn't validate which prevented me from even being able to bring the array up to test Docker or VM connectivity.  Again, I am currently fully able to access the WebGUI and while it normally runs headless I hooked up a monitor for a second and it showed the IP on the login screen which I connect to.  I have diagnostics .zip from regular boot and Safe Mode boot for whichever might be more helpful.

14 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You can try resetting the network, delete/rename network.cfg and network-rules.cfg (both on the flash's config folder) then reboot and re-config the lan.

Just tried this, still able to connect into the WebGUI but the system is still not able to connect to the key/registration server.  I renamed the files from network.cfg and network-rules.cfg to network.cfg.bak and network-rules.cfg.bak.  When I checked the directory after reboot, it created a new network-rules.cfg but now there is no network.cfg.  Another diagnostic is attached if it's pertinent.

tower-diagnostics-20200611-1807.zip

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Try booting in safe mode to rule out any plugin.

No luck, unfortunately.  I attempted this before posting and left it in safe mode after deleting the 2 .cfg files just in case it was a combination of factors.  My second post on this thread has the diagnostic folders from both regular and safe boot if it helps.

Then I would recommend redoing the flash drive, backup current one, re-do it with the USB tool, then restore only super.dat (disk assignments) and your key, both on the config folder, if OK you can then start restoring the other files to find out which one is the problem or just reconfigure the server, if redoing the flash doesn't work you likely have a hardware problem.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Then I would recommend redoing the flash drive, backup current one, re-do it with the USB tool, then restore only super.dat (disk assignments) and your key, both on the config folder, if OK you can then start restoring the other files to find out which one is the problem or just reconfigure the server, if redoing the flash doesn't work you likely have a hardware problem.

I will try it tonight.  Also, I don't know if it helps but I was looking through the logs and wireguard (which should be uninstalled) appears to try and boot up even in safe mode.

27 minutes ago, vapinator said:

Also, I don't know if it helps but I was looking through the logs and wireguard (which should be uninstalled) appears to try and boot up even in safe mode.

I think WireGuard always loads during the boot sequence once it has been activated as it is a system service.   It is only the GUI part of WireDuard that is a plugin.   However that does not rule out there being some stored WireGuard configuration information causing a problem

• Like 1
10 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes, that's one the plugins that I though could be causing issues, if misconfigured, though booting in safe mode should not load it.

9 hours ago, itimpi said:

I think WireGuard always loads during the boot sequence once it has been activated as it is a system service.   It is only the GUI part of WireDuard that is a plugin.   However that does not rule out there being some stored WireGuard configuration information causing a problem

Thank you all!  This worked a charm, it did appear to be most likely related to Wireguard.  I restored every single file/directory within config except /wireguard, /plugins-removed(only had wireguard), and /plugins/dynamix and it worked perfectly.  Hopefully I can reconfigure Wireguard without being an idiot and have that back up.  Also, I know this doesn't have any bearing on you guys as community members but the amazing response from this community pushed me to buy it as soon as I got my array online.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Ethernet Interface Down, No Internet, Accessible on Network - 6.8.3

The WireGuard implementation itself is always loaded as part of the system kernel.

The plugin is for the GUI front-end and configuration part only. Removing the plugin will not remove any already existing WireGuard configurations.

In a future version of Unraid, this plugin will be integrated. The reason we started with the plugin was to make the development of WireGuard support independent of the Unraid releases, but we are getting to a point where integration can be done (not yet in Unraid 6.9 though).

WireGuard configuration should have no effect on local connections, i.e. connecting from your LAN network.

The WireGuard configuration files are stored on the flash device in the folder /config/wireguard.

Deleting this folder and rebooting the system is like starting without WireGuard.

Edited by bonienl
  • Thanks 2
  • 4 months later...