[ Solved ] - Replaced disk missing from Shares

So here is an interesting one

I had a disk with bad sectors (Disk3). Replaced the physical disk with a new one. Had to use "new configuration" to get the system to see the disk and mount the array. Before replacing the disk I removed it from the shares so that mover can evacuate the data from the disk. This all worked well.

While creating the new config I swapped disk 3 and 4 to get them to correspond to the correct slots in the server. ( Yes I do have really bad OCD)

Now I need to add the disk back into the shares, but disk 4 (previously known as Disk 3 - the blank disk ) is already back in the shares but disk 3 with the data on is missing from the list when I want to add it back to shares... I am completely puzzled 🙂

----- Edit ------

Did a new config again  and moved disks back to where they were ... No matter where i move the empty disk, It cant be added to existing shares. Even if I try creating a new share, the blank disk is missing from the list

I found the disk sitting under "disk shares" What the ......... ?

Edited by Christo
  • Christo changed the title to [ Solved ] - Replaced disk missing from Shares
2 hours ago, Christo said:

I have learned now that a noobs  don't deserve help from advanced users here... 

Thank you

We are glad to help, you only need to ask.

I'm not sure how you managed to save your data, because if you truly did exactly what you described in the post, the data from the failed drive is gone.

10 hours ago, Christo said:

Replaced the physical disk with a new one. Had to use "new configuration" to get the system to see the disk and mount the array. Before replacing the disk I removed it from the shares so that mover can evacuate the data from the disk.

Mover won't move data between array disks, only cache to array and array to cache. Removing a disk from the shares doesn't do anything to the data on the disk, it only prevents new data from being written there, or if globally excluded hides the data already on the disk from the user shares as well.

Doing a new config while there is a failed disk will result in the data that could have been rebuilt from parity to be permanently gone.