Rookie trying to build a home NAS

Hi all!

I'm planning a build for my home use NAS based on unRAID. I don't intend to run plex, VMs or anything like that in the foreseeable future. I basically want a safe storage with parity where I can store personal things. I went with unRAID because of huge community and support, as well as the possibility to add more drives to the array later as necessary. Currently, I plan to have 4 Seagate IronWolf 4TB drives (3 storage 1 parity) and expand later as the storage requirements grow beyond that.

Here is my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mm24TC

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a heads-up if there's something radically wrong with this setup and suggest changes.

Down the line I might drop in this the Ryzen 5 2600 that I have in my main PC when I decide to upgrade it.

Thanks in advance and cheers!

It won't be fast but for simple storage it will work.  My only caution would be the power supply, 300 watts doesn't leave much room for expansion.  I bought a 650 watt Corsair last week for $70 from Amazon and it didn't shipping from the UK.  Room for expansion may be important later on once you discover everything you can do with the NAS.  That processor is bare minimum IMO, a Ryzen 5 1600AF 6-Core, 12-Thread is $105 and will get you by quite a while.  8 gigs of ram will work but that is pretty slow memory. 

Otherwise it will all work together and would be the bare minimum that works IMO, but it is pushing it on power supply.  My advice, if you don't need 12TB of storage, drop a drive and put that money towards a little bit better components, it pays in the long run or upgrade your main computer now and use the R5 2600 in the NAS. 

I built my unraid server somewhere around 2008.  I got some old hardware (circa 2006) off craigslist for crazy cheap and I still run that hardware today for exactly what you are saying you want to do...a big array of discs  (17 in my server).  Core 2 Duo with a whopping 2 GB of RAM (now considered bare minimum).  Only thing I spent real money on other than drives was the case (to hold tons of drives) and the power supply.  If you aren't planning on running dockers and VMs and such any time soon, i'd save on the guts, only making sure you can support a lot of SATA ports.  If you decide in a few years you want to run more, upgrade the hardware then.  You'll have faster and/or cheaper hardware at that point than if you buy good stuff now only to really put it to use years down the road.  I'm looking at finally updating my hardware to add specific capability.  Glad I didn't invest $$$ in 2008 to just do home file storage/serving for over a decade.

20 minutes ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

Your CPU is AMD with an internal GPU so its good option to go with a higher clocked RAM as it will also boost the CPU performance.

image.png

Anything above 2667 is likely to be a waste, as the CPU may become unstable. I'm aware this chart is for Ryzen, but the CPU the OP lists in the part picker is also rated at 2667 maximum. Overclocking a server can jeopardize data integrity, and since most people rely on their server to accurately store their data, overclocking a server is NOT recommended.