Unraid 6.8.3 Random bouts of 100% CPU useage. Making server useless.

your logs are filled with the multiple BAR issue:

SERVERUS kernel: resource sanity check: requesting [mem 0x000c0000-0x000fffff], which spans more than PCI Bus 0000:00 [mem 0x000c0000-0x000dffff window]

While it is supposed to be harmless and just informative, it may cause an issue if the resources overlap.  It seems to be caused by a buggy BIOS.  Have you tried updating the BIOS? if that fails, are you able to move your video card to another slot?

On 7/6/2020 at 5:28 PM, civic95man said:

Have you tried updating the BIOS? if that fails, are you able to move your video card to another slot?

Hmm, I have not. I haven’t updated the bios since I got the board. 

As for moving my gpu, I’m not 100% sure if that’s doable. Every slot in my case is being used, or blocked by something needed by another card. 

But I did just get all new SAS cables in today, I’m going to try replacing those first and if I’m still having issues I’ll start looking into updating the BIOS. 

I’m open to any other troubleshooting steps, I still haven’t resolved this. I made it several days, but it happened again last night. If it helps at all 99% of the time it happens is in the evening between 7:30-9:30pm usually closer to around 8:00pm. 

I do have a syslog server on my Synology that logs everything from unraid. The last time it happened I saw a TON of errors about “unable to parse crontab” or something like that. Anyway, I don’t have any cron jobs at all set to run within the time frame this is happeneing in, and I don’t know if that actually had anything to do with it. But knowing this is there any red flags I should look for in the logs if this happens again?

• 3 weeks later...

I know its been about 2 weeks since i last posted here, but I am still troubleshooting this issue. All of my Cables have been replaced and I'm still having the issue.

I have started looking into a new HBA as Im beginning to think it might be my HBA or Expander, but Im not actually sure.

I have noticed the last 2 times this happened I was able to ssh and run htop and I saw a process called "shfs" at the top of the list for CPU usage. I have searched for this issue and most of what I found was from 2017-2018 and pertained to ReiserFS. But It has been reported with XFS disks too, and that's what all my disks are.

• 5 months later...

Any progress on this at all?  I've been experiencing this same exact issue for a couple weeks now.  100% cpu usage, htop shows shfs using 50%, tried swapping cables on it for all new.  I see a lot of these threads with the same exact issue but not a ton of resolutions. Screen shot attached.  If needed I can get diags.

Screenshot_20201231-021821.jpg

I don't see anything resembling a 7 hour pattern, but I'd have to leave the server on for a bit longer to make sure (rebooted after previously posting).  I believe my issues stem from Cache Dirs, I'm not sure why.  All of my disks of XFS, and this problem seemed to have cropped out of no where over the past month or so.  I disable cache dirs and the process calls are still consistent, but they are only taking 1-5% cpu now, instead of 100%.  Not sure if there is a work around, as I like cache dirs :(