Best way to host a game server from the cache drive?

I want to host a small minecraft server for me and my friends. I want to do that using a Ubuntu VM. I have a cache drive where my appdata lives and preferably I would like the minecraft server to be hosted from that cache drive as well. 

So my thinking was to create a new share, and then somehow mount that share to the VM, so I can have the VM read/write to the cache drive, but still control server backups from Unraid.

If found this part in the VM configuration:

e7753339b0.png

Now that seems like that is exactly what I want to do, but after some experimentation I couldn't get it to work. Can I in fact mount a share this way or am I misunderstanding what this part of the configuration is for? And if it is possible, how do I get the share to show up on the VM?

If the above is not possible, I could mount the share as network share to the VM, but I have a feeling that this would cause a lot off overhead for the huge amount of tiny reads/writes that would all have to take place over the network. (Even if it's on the same server). Is this a legitimate concern or can I just use the share as a network drive?

What is the best way to setup a minecraft (or any other game) server. So that the VM can access the game server files on the cache disk, while it remains possible to control backups using the main Unraid OS?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Squid said:

Not that I do it, but my first thoughts on this would be via the multitude of various game servers within the Apps Tab (ie: from ich777)

I have tried this, but the I got a bad experience with mineOS (Using a lot of CPU and not able to shutdown without forcing). I am currently using binhex-minecraft server which works fine, but it is dependent on archlinux minecraft server and doesn't support custom JAR files, so while it does work, I'd rather move to something that offers a little bit more flexibility.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 6:16 PM, oko2708 said:

I have tried this, but the I got a bad experience with mineOS (Using a lot of CPU and not able to shutdown without forcing). I am currently using binhex-minecraft server which works fine, but it is dependent on archlinux minecraft server and doesn't support custom JAR files, so while it does work, I'd rather move to something that offers a little bit more flexibility.

You can use my image, it supports any jar version of minecraft that you want, I build my images (hopefully) very flexible and user customizable...

• 2 weeks later...