Thunderbolt 3 networking

Omri

Hi

i'm building my first system, and I really want fast networking to my main computer (which has thunderbolt 3 - titan ridge)

I can't seem to find if unraid will allow me use thunderbolt 3 networking (10gbps) to another pc/mac

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.19/admin-guide/thunderbolt.html#networking-over-thunderbolt-cable

the kernel seems to support it, but I didn't find anyone with that setup.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Omri

Hi,

I don't know about thunderbolt 3 but you can use 10 GB ethernet card (onboard or not).
I do have 10 GB ethernet card but unfortunately I don't have 10 GB Switch yet so I can't confirm for sure but i think there's not much problem here.
Personally I have a Supermicro X11SSH and I believe the linux kernel does support it now since maybe 6.7 or 6.8 unraid versions. This can probably be confirmed reading through the documentation.

On 6/20/2020 at 6:52 PM, Omri said:

Hi

i'm building my first system, and I really want fast networking to my main computer (which has thunderbolt 3 - titan ridge)

I can't seem to find if unraid will allow me use thunderbolt 3 networking (10gbps) to another pc/mac

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.19/admin-guide/thunderbolt.html#networking-over-thunderbolt-cable

the kernel seems to support it, but I didn't find anyone with that setup.

Thanks in advance

There is no support here for TB3 i learned the hard way aswell, once u go of mainstream u are on ur own. PM me maybe we can share or knowledge and find a solution

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/31/2020 at 9:12 AM, Omri said:

I can confirm it's not working in unraid latest beta :(

It does in OMV, Ubuntu, Windows, OS X

@limetechis TB3 support on the roadmap? I had a plan to add some egpus to my tb card and share them across some vms' without passthrough of entire controller - if UNRAID had this capbility i think it might be a game changer.