[SOLVED] Shares keep getting converted to read only somehow

I've been running unraid for 8-9 years now, it's been fairly stable for me and I come here when I have the rare problem.  I would say I'm still not that knowledgable about unraid, linux, or computers in general.  I've had this persistent problem over the last few weeks where all my shares are getting converted into a read only permission state.  I ran and re-ran the permission tool which did nothing initially.  Then last week I replaced a couple of drives that looked to be having SMART report issues and that seemed to fix it until a couple of days ago.  I ran the permissions tool and tried to move a file with no luck.  I restarted the server and tried again and everything was working normally but only for a couple of days.  Now I'm back to read only.  It's across all shares as far as I can tell.   

This has me thinking about a bad wire or other hardware issue maybe?  The server hardware is all relatively new.  I built this one about a year ago with server grade parts however I did get the RAM, processors, and motherboard used from MET servers. 

tower-diagnostics-20200621-1748.zip

Check filesystem on disk1:

Jun 19 02:50:27 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning: reiserfs-5090 is_tree_node: node level 6692 does not match to the expected one 1
Jun 19 02:50:27 Tower kernel: REISERFS error (device md1): vs-5150 search_by_key: invalid format found in block 1738342401. Fsck?
Jun 19 02:50:27 Tower kernel: REISERFS (device md1): Remounting filesystem read-only

https://wiki.unraid.net/Check_Disk_Filesystems#Checking_and_fixing_drives_in_the_webGui

Be sure to capture the output so you can post it.

Here is the output of the filesystem check.  

Probably worth mentioning that disk1 is the disk that is brand new.  I replaced it and used parity to rebuild the data about two weeks ago.  I had replaced it due to some SMART reports warnings.  The original disk that was showing the SMART report warnings was a relatively new disc as well.  

Filesystem Check.rtf

In reading more about this I am confused where the problem actually is.  I guess I don't understand what the filesystem is.  The drive in question has been replaced.  I guess that means the problem may have never been a bad drive in the first place but rather a filesystem problem which was copied over in the data rebuild to the new drive when I replaced the old one?

Ok, got the filesystem corrected with --rebuild-tree.  Re-ran the check and it says no corruptions found.  I am assuming I need to start a parity check now and NOT correct any errors found so that the parity is rebuilt without the corrupt file system?

Assuming you ran the filesystem check in the webUI then the md device would have been fixed and so parity will have been updated and kept in sync with the fixes.

58 minutes ago, GDub25 said:

I am assuming I need to start a parity check now and NOT correct any errors found so that the parity is rebuilt without the corrupt file system?

Not really following the reasoning there. A parity check wouldn't hurt, but if there are parity errors you will have to correct them. What did you think you would do instead?

Sorry, I was thinking the parity check might see the updated filesystem as an error and re-write the error thinking it was correcting a missing file or something.  Everything seems to be working right now, fingers crossed it stays this way.  

Thank you guys very much for the help.  

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Shares keep getting converted to read only somehow
9 hours ago, GDub25 said:

I was thinking the parity check might see the updated filesystem as an error and re-write the error thinking it was correcting a missing file

Parity is not a backup. It can't correct file system errors or fix corrupt files. Its only use is to recreate the bits on a missing drive exactly how they were, corrupted or not.