New build

Hi there,

I have an old HP Microserver running Unraid 24x7 and has been serving my home needs for the past six years, mostly Space Invader projects.
I've wanted to start using it for virtualisation and be able to use GPU passthrough, but unfortunately, my current processor doesn't support AMD-V and is getting a bit long in the tooth.

So I'd like to start building a new server but have struggled to find consistent information on compatibility, or whether you're better off using an Intel or AMD CPU as I see lots of posts still talking about the hard lockups on the AMD platform. Motherboards seem to raise there own set of challenges on how well the IMMOU groups are separated, and GPU passthrough appears to raise its own set of problems with the AMD "reset" bug and Nvidia not natively supporting virtualisation.

Have any of you built a new server recently and been successful in implementing virtualisation, GPU passthrough and separating your IMMOU groups? And if so could you share your opinion and make recommendations on the most compatible hardware.

Many thanks.

Edited by studentgrant