Home assistant

@jayg37  hopefully that helps.. and what i was talking about is the IOMMU  here is video.  but under Tools under system devices..

youll see right now probably all your devices are lumped together.

or if its enabled the IOMMU.

each device be in its own group and thats what you want it all seperated..

also if your sharing a USB controller sometimes that doesnt work..  so if you got 2 usb ports 1 using it in a on a different VM    and they use the same bus controller  it  causes issues

and it may need to be seperated more

so you want to enable ACS    in the video is older you can watch it to learn better.. and then you can see in the picture i have..  you dont need to edit the code anymore..  there is section in your VM Manager under advanced..  Enable PCIe ACS  and i set it to both,..  i forget what each one does but i just leave it set to both..

give that a try  too if u run into problems or just to learn it too

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/71675-video-guide-a-little-about-passthrough-iommu-groups-and-breaking-them-up/

hope it helps

acs.PNG

Thanks for the reply @comet424

I've upped my disk doze to 32gb and my ram to 4gb. iwasn't able to figure out the grouping you mentioned but will continue to look. 

also there is section in unraid  you do the break up all the usbs soundcard etc  into different groups i forget what it that is at the moment  but give that a try upgrade ram etc

I'll post up if the usb issue occurs again. 

Edit#1 i stopped my array for maintenance which meant stopping the VM. I didn't shut down HA host from within the VM. (Not sure if that would cause this) when i restarted the array and VM the usb wasn't passed through.  I had to "edit" the vm then click update and restart before the usb was passed through.  

1 hour ago, Jayg37 said:

Thanks for the reply @comet424

I've upped my disk doze to 32gb and my ram to 4gb. iwasn't able to figure out the grouping you mentioned but will continue to look. 

I'll post up if the usb issue occurs again. 

Edit#1 i stopped my array for maintenance which meant stopping the VM. I didn't shut down HA host from within the VM. (Not sure if that would cause this) when i restarted the array and VM the usb wasn't passed through.  I had to "edit" the vm then click update and restart before the usb was passed through.  

@Jayg37

ya i not 100% sure  does it happen  when you reboot  unraid.. im sure someone smarter at this then me might know..

i know i have had issues where i have removed a usb   after a vm is off and you cant start a vm  without it...  and it cant do edit and save to remove it.. you gotta make sure u got it back in..  i not sure how to edit the advanced to find the usb..

see if it happens with a reboot too..  i currently dont use a usb  with home assistant.. was looking to add a keyboard key pad so you can press a button to activate things..

but i also run 2 home assistants that work together  but i no expert..   i like you i just try and hope for the best 🙂

what kinda usb  device you using with home assistant?

and are you running Supervised or HA OS version  on the vm...   try the HA OS version if not 

as the  HA Supervised..  so running on Raspbian i know isnt supported .. ah but then again i forgot you cant run  raspbian  on unraid as a vm without running on ubuntu and then i find not stable  .  or on fedora

Edited by comet424

I run supervised HA. I've got a conbee 2 usb zigbee stick that has been giving me trouble.  I'll try a reboot and post up this weekend. 

I may have to go with HA core in a docker container if i can't get the USB to stick.  I'll do some more googling to see what i can do for USB on VMs. 

@jayg37 id also try the Home Assistant Forum..  

i didnt bother with the zigbee Zwave stuff like the costco light switchs etc..  as you gotta solder desolder etc to install tsuamoa   

i went with the TP-Link  light switchs and outlet plugs..  you dont need a dongle  you just use your 2.4Ghz  wifi router.. no dongles needed i used 2 home assistants running  together  so i can access the 2nd home assistant from the main one..  

and i looked at buying those zigbee zwave  dongles  they like 100 bucks  so i never went that route...

but ya i run  Home Assistant OS... so its dedicated.. not running Debian 10 as its the only OS its supported to run on..

but ya let me know how you make out 

i run on my 2nd  Home Asssstant.. i run a USB Modem  so it does Caller ID for me..  and it seems to be ok but thats running on a PI itsself

I tried rebooting Unraid a few times and got different results with the HA supervised VM. Sometimes it boots with the usb passed through other times it does not.  I tried the usbip plugin but after installing and configuring unraid took a very long time to boot and i got a bit scared i hosed the system... that put an end to that plugin for now. 

I'll wait for the pcie usb to come in and try using spaceinvader1 controller pass-through tutorial.  Hopefully passing the entire controller will yield consistent results.  If not I'll go back to the plugin... it looks promising just need to read up on it.  

9 minutes ago, Jayg37 said:

I tried rebooting Unraid a few times and got different results with the HA supervised VM. Sometimes it boots with the usb passed through other times it does not.  I tried the usbip plugin but after installing and configuring unraid took a very long time to boot and i got a bit scared i hosed the system... that put an end to that plugin for now. 

I'll wait for the pcie usb to come in and try using spaceinvader1 controller pass-through tutorial.  Hopefully passing the entire controller will yield consistent results.  If not I'll go back to the plugin... it looks promising just need to read up on it.  

ah ok let me know how it works.. so far i dont pass usb for HA is it doing it for say a windows VM  or a linux VM  or is it just the HA VM its doing it to..  i wish i was better help.. i know like for Audio drivers  the Spaceinvaders trick may work on using onboard sound card for program the Intel  cpu but doesnt like the Ryzen AMD cpus..  so it could also be if your using a AMD the problem is AMD  as it doesnt allow you to pass things nicely like Intel.. But AMD currently better then Intel and is cheaper... so its a hit and miss game.. if we had endless parts we could have an assortment of parts on a table and plug and play things see what works and doesnt..

if nothing workings  either use your zeebee with a real Raspberry Pi running HA OS    or Supervised on Debian..   i run HA in VM on unraid no USBS   but i run HA Supervised on Raspbian with USB device but running on Raspbian isnt supported.  so if anything breaks no one can help me but its running ok..

its basiclly a hit and miss game really..  nothing is perfect.. but remember there is always going up to the light switch and turning it on and off..   the good ole days lol

@norbertt  its the same as home-assistant-core   linuxserver repo stuff supposed to work better i guess  

but if you like the home assistant core way  then either way will work

i didnt keep it installed  i use like most people do is the Home assistant OS  (Hassiso) or Home Assistant Supervised

as it has the plugins. and supervisor options. with all the bells and whistles

and if your seeing videos on Hassios   where you got the Node-REd  or File Editor. plugins,  etc

then this isnt the version you want..  you want the Hassios  OS    or the Supervised

Edited by comet424

@comet424

I think i figured it out.  So i installed a PCIE usb card then used a walk through on this forum to pass through the entire controller.  (My mobo only has one controller onboard) this consistently passed through the usb to my hassos vm.

This created a new problem as each restart changed the port the usb was located at. dev/tty/ACM0 or ACM1. I then used the info from HA forums to create a relative link to the usb device. 

Coolie1101

Having issues where usb zwave stick changes from ACM0 to ACM1 on reboot.

If I follow you correctly, with the “ls -al /dev/serial/by-id” output as below, would my config then be “/dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00”?

Copy to clipboard

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 60 Feb 8 23:08 . drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Feb 8 23:08 .. lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Feb 8 23:08 usb-0658_0200-if00 -> ../../ttyACM0

This should be all set now... since i used z2mqtt i could use the above in the yaml config.  This would be problematic in an integration like ZHA. although this may be possible with additional googling. 

@Jayg37  what a pain in butt just to get it to work eh..  hopefully  no issues.. its the same with Volumio  and trying to get the onboard sound to work. couldnt get it to work.. had to get a usb sound card..

hopefully it works fine for ya now..  one reason i went with the tplink  i didnt wanna spend the money for the 100 dollar dongle..  but least you said you got it for free or something   so its worth it in the end..

hopefully it will run stable now  with each reboot of the HA..

Nah not free....i just hit the max wifi devices on my router.  (Netgear nighthawk AC)  32 devices. Zigbee or zwave was the only way to expand.  Upgraded to wifi 6 so it shouldn't be a problem anymore but I'm already down the path... 1st world problems! Lol

oh i dont even know what max devices for routers are.. i didnt think there was one..  but or me  i have wanted home automation stuff over 20 yrs  i finally got wifi ones this year.. and i only had a handful of cells or laptop.  i a believer in using cable.. as wifi still easilly disconnects etc..  dont get me wrong they are better then the past.. but they still not stable 100%  so i usualyl run a cable to a computer or a tv  opposed to wifi..  so never maxed out a router 

ya i looked at a tplink or Asus wifi 6   dont have anything that uses 6ghz  majority of my stuff is 2.4..  but love the 8 antennas lol

@Slaytanic

The Hardware info can get kind of bloated on VMs. You can go to integrations page then search for ZHA. Click like you are going to install then the first step before install asks you to select your zigbee device from a drop down.  This integration automatically finds your devices so it should be a short list.  Then take that usb address Ex. ACM0 and setup zigbee2mqtt or continue with ZHA. 

Edit 1- those cc2531 are notorious for coming unflashed. If you still don't see it in the ZHA drop down then look up flashing guides.  

Edited by Jayg37
  • Like 1

@Jayg37 Thanks a lot for this! I got now the ID of my stick (flashed by myself, as i ordered a set with a cc debugger). I just tested it yesterday with ZHA, but after 10 minutes the stick is not available anymore, think this is because of not 100% supported in ZHA, will test it in zigbee2mqtt. I also ordered a conbee stick, which should work better and support more than 20 devices.

Edited by Slaytanic

Great thread.  Just what I was looking for.

New to HA but have the core Docker working well for a few days, but really would like Supervisor.  Have no interest in getting a Raspberry Pi when I already have unraid running.  No experience with unraid VM's, so I'd love to stick with Docker.  I'm considering the "unsupported" hassio_supervisor Docker, but am confused between the posts of people that like it, and others that say it's unstable...

Is anyone happy with Docker's hassio_supervisor?

Like you I tried the "core" Docker to start with and it worked, but I soon wanted the add-on functionality provided by the supervisor. So I tried the unsupported "hassio_supervisor Docker", but found it unreliable - it would start for a while, but then stop for no obvious reason. I looked into it for a bit, but soon decided that a supported option was a better way to go so I set up the VM version, which has been very stable since I first got it running several months ago. I know it's an extra layer of abstraction over a docker container, but HA is a light-weight system anyway so I don't think much performance is wasted. It's still a lot faster than running it on a Pi from what I can gather anyway.

You may be aware that the HA supervisor setup uses docker itself so that might be something to do with why it's not happy running within a container. When the docker version of HA supervisor created its containers I could see and manage them within unRAID, but I don't know enough about Docker to know if this is odd. It's obviously not an issue with a VM, however if there's an option to add something to HA like an external database, then I check to see if there's an unRAID version of the docker first, so I minimise the number of dockers running inside the VM.

That's exactly the info I was looking for.  I will continue to play with Core.  It's going well (after a deep dive to get it behind a proxy, and just general understanding and programming of HA) so once I decide to stick with HA long-term, I'll go the VM route with Supervisor.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi I have managed to get Home Assistant docker working with Swag docker and cloudflare so I can access via my domain however when I check the log it states 

A request from a reverse proxy was received from 172.18.0.5, but your HTTP integration is not set-up for reverse proxies; This request will be blocked in Home Assistant 2021.7 unless you configure your HTTP integration to allow this header

I assume this is because the Yaml is not configured correctly which I have tried by adding reverse proxy line but that doesnt seem to work and just causes home assistant to go into safe mode. I have tried adding a line in the config file in the swag folder but that stops home assistant from running at all. I am newbie so any help would be appreciated. 

Edited by madmanx

Okay well I have followed your advice and setup the VM, the two problems I am facing are one RAM usage is considerably higher than previously I will upgrade ram but the bigger issue is how do I setup remote access using my own domain. I kind of figured its possible but i dont know how i can direct SWAG to direct any traffic that hits the subdomain to direct it to the VM IP address. I know I could use duckdns

I used JuanMTech's YouTube video to setup the VM, but prior when I was trying Docker I followed Spaceinvader One's post which shows how to setup remote access.  I don't have my own domain so used duckdns.org.

As for https access to the HA VM, I didn't try anything unraid-based, but from within HA used an add-on.  I'd tell you the add-on but ironically, for the first time, Supervisor is not loading remotely (but HA core is running fine).  I'm pretty sure it's nginx.

As for memory usage, that's a bit surprising.  I think I only have like 8GB of RAM on my unraid & haven't seen any issues running HA, Plex, and a couple of minor Dockers.  I only allocated like 2GB of RAM to HA.

• 2 weeks later...

@Rick_Sanchez  iv never found a solution.. always ran the VM  as it runs stable

only suggestion i can say about the usb sticks is you need the hot usb plugin   and then when you use the assign usb to your VM 

you may then have to do the DETACH and ATTACH button  for zwave stick to your homeassistant VM

i know i do this each time for a keyboard and mouse for a windows VM    its anoying  it wont stay

you could try that  detach reattach  the zwave stick  with the home assistant VM  

you gotta do that each time you reboot the VM too  

other then that i dont think there is a working supervised.. even the HA owner was on a podcast with the Unraid guys.. and even said you run HA  in a VM  in unraid..

but give that a try see if that helps i dont use Zigbee.. i went the TPLink route  no need for a dongle  or software  works out of the box using the cellphone and and just the router and boom works with HA