Home assistant

Does anyone have homeassistant running stable as a docker in unRAID?  I followed digiblurs method and although I got it to work it was problematic and unstable, I have a vm running it on a dedicated Ryzen machine but I feel like I'm just not getting it setup right on unRAID was hoping that the latest version would have corrected the issue such as having to install the supervisor separately would really like to have it on my server as it has been rock solid for several years now and the vm is a bit slow, any takers?

Yes, I did (until recently) and it worked flawlessly for months. When you say unstable, what do you mean?

Now I run it in a VM on a dedicated NUC running Ubuntu.

Taking the server down for maintenance, tweaking or WhateverTF was not very wife or family proof. One machine to do it all doesn’t really work for me these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, danioj said:

Yes, I did (until recently) and it worked flawlessly for months. When you say unstable, what do you mean?

Now I run it in a VM on a dedicated NUC running Ubuntu.

Taking the server down for maintenance, tweaking or WhateverTF was not very wife or family proof. One machine to do it all doesn’t really work for me these days.

Yeah I had it running like you but it seemed to just stop working unexpectedly and I would have to modify that tweak where you added the letter to the description in the supervisor settings or one of those self generated images would go off line and would need to be restarted when it worked it worked great but like I said and same scenario as you it did not go over well when it dropped off line with the wife and kids

Without some specific errors I’m not sure I can help. When I was running Core in Docker in unRAID mine never dropped off or stopped working. I had morning, daytime, evening and night automations and all worked every day.

I did have an issue with some of my TP-Link switches - configured so HA saw them as lights not “reconnecting” each day. This was because I had my dockers set to be backed up at 3am each morning and there is a bug in the TP-Link FW when you have them running local instead of via the cloud.

Other than that (which really had nothing to do with HA) my setup was solid.

37 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

Does anyone have homeassistant running stable as a docker in unRAID?  I followed digiblurs method and although I got it to work it was problematic and unstable, I have a vm running it on a dedicated Ryzen machine but I feel like I'm just not getting it setup right on unRAID was hoping that the latest version would have corrected the issue such as having to install the supervisor separately would really like to have it on my server as it has been rock solid for several years now and the vm is a bit slow, any takers?

I tried it on Docker but then opted for the VM path - wanted the whole HASS.IO package benefits.

Runs very stable.

Did you try it on a VM in unRAID or do you have a reason not to run it on a VM in unraid? Do you take down or restart your unRAID often?

29 minutes ago, theone said:

I tried it on Docker but then opted for the VM path - wanted the whole HASS.IO package benefits.

Runs very stable.

Did you try it on a VM in unRAID or do you have a reason not to run it on a VM in unraid? Do you take down or restart your unRAID often?

To be honest I have had less than ideal attempts to run vm's at all especially in unRAID but its my lack of understanding of passthrough and just the overall setup to get close to bare metal performance I set my current system with virtual box and followed a tute from youtube and its the most stable instance i've had less when it was on a pi but speed was the issue from moving away from that although I might revisit that now that I have native boot from an ssd might see a nice performance bump but haven't read of anyone's experience yet

3 hours ago, deadnote said:

I followed this tutorial from digiblur to install hassio in docker.

Evrything works fine for months

Yep that's who I followed maybe I'll give it another go now that some updated releases have hit wonder if I could import my current setup into a new instance in unRAID seen vids that indicate that its possible just never tried it, do any of those images that the supervisor has created drop off line at all?

• 4 weeks later...

This thread is a godsend honestly. When I search for Unraid and Home Assistant all results are from 2 years ago.

Anyway, I used to have digiblur's hassio supervisor running and when it ran, it was great. Like you, I've had to restart it and add the letter in the description to get it working again. Sometimes I'd have to completely reinstall, and that got monotonous so about 3 months ago I deleted it all and every sensor box and LED strip sat dormant. Today I have some time so I'm trying to get it running on Unraid again to no avail. Simply adding the hassio_supervisor docker doesn't load the home assistant landing page. Logs show supervisor as running normally with no errors, yet I don't have an accessible page. I get an "err_connection_refused" error, and in searching that I get results from 2017.

I deleted everything and installed the "home_assistant_core" docker image and had a usable home assistant instance. However, again like you, I was missing the addon store. I installed digiblur's "hassio_supervisor" along side the home assistant core image and restarted the docker, restarted the array, restarted the machine, and still no addon store. 

That all brought me to your thread. I don't really understand how to get this working like it used to. My next step is to try a VM and see if that goes anywhere. I'll report back if it works.

3 hours ago, theoracle09 said:

This thread is a godsend honestly. When I search for Unraid and Home Assistant all results are from 2 years ago.

Anyway, I used to have digiblur's hassio supervisor running and when it ran, it was great. Like you, I've had to restart it and add the letter in the description to get it working again. Sometimes I'd have to completely reinstall, and that got monotonous so about 3 months ago I deleted it all and every sensor box and LED strip sat dormant. Today I have some time so I'm trying to get it running on Unraid again to no avail. Simply adding the hassio_supervisor docker doesn't load the home assistant landing page. Logs show supervisor as running normally with no errors, yet I don't have an accessible page. I get an "err_connection_refused" error, and in searching that I get results from 2017.

I deleted everything and installed the "home_assistant_core" docker image and had a usable home assistant instance. However, again like you, I was missing the addon store. I installed digiblur's "hassio_supervisor" along side the home assistant core image and restarted the docker, restarted the array, restarted the machine, and still no addon store. 

That all brought me to your thread. I don't really understand how to get this working like it used to. My next step is to try a VM and see if that goes anywhere. I'll report back if it works.

Yeah I'm kinda gun shy since my VM has been stable for so long but full disclosure my VM is not on my unRAID box its on a spare albeit over powered Ryzen 1800x machine I followed Rob from the hookup's tute for running virtualbox to get a stable platform but I have now setup a pi4 4gb to boot from an ssd natively may see if the performance is now there I was worried about all the stories of micro sd card failures I'm not a linux guy but that might have a possibility in the future as well

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For all you guys running Home assistant and such...  I see some are running in a docker and some in a VM and some in a VM on a separate machine.

HA in a docker seems fine except no supervisor.  I'm no expert in HA (yet) but it seems I would like the supervisor ability.  I tried @digiblur's video and I got it

to install and such..  but it seems kinda pieced together and it didn't seem too robust.  I thank him for his effort here to give us that option though...

So I guess my question is..  what are the benefits of running in a docker vs a VM or just running it all (HA, ESPHome, MQTT, NodeRed) on a Rpi4?

I like the idea of a Rpi4 because if it breaks, it's pretty easy to replace the hardware fast.  I'm planning on this setup controlling my whole HVAC system.  So if something breaks,  I need to be able to get it up and running quickly again.  Does the Rpi4 just not have enough HP to run all this?

I suppose if I run in a VM on unraid I could always take the image and run it on another machine while I get unraid back up and running is something were to break? (assuming I could get to the image...)

What are most of you guys doing?

Thanks,

Jim

2 hours ago, jbuszkie said:

For all you guys running Home assistant and such...  I see some are running in a docker and some in a VM and some in a VM on a separate machine.

HA in a docker seems fine except no supervisor.  I'm no expert in HA (yet) but it seems I would like the supervisor ability.  I tried @digiblur's video and I got it

to install and such..  but it seems kinda pieced together and it didn't seem too robust.  I thank him for his effort here to give us that option though...

So I guess my question is..  what are the benefits of running in a docker vs a VM or just running it all (HA, ESPHome, MQTT, NodeRed) on a Rpi4?

I like the idea of a Rpi4 because if it breaks, it's pretty easy to replace the hardware fast.  I'm planning on this setup controlling my whole HVAC system.  So if something breaks,  I need to be able to get it up and running quickly again.  Does the Rpi4 just not have enough HP to run all this?

I suppose if I run in a VM on unraid I could always take the image and run it on another machine while I get unraid back up and running is something were to break? (assuming I could get to the image...)

What are most of you guys doing?

Thanks,

Jim

I was running a pi but load times after changes were getting long in the tooth and the stories of sd card failure loomed I tried running the docker setup on my unRAID box but it was unstable would drop out often and had to reconfigure a few times I now run it on another machine windows 10 based with virtual box been rock solid, this is not to say that the docker approach is bad I may not have been able to sort out the issues and just got frustrated with it the new pi4 with 4-8 gigs of ram now with native support for an ssd boot drive is something I will test but right now virtual box has been really good to date

• 2 weeks later...

Cautiously optimistic, I found this surfing youtube and I think this is it hope I'm not violating any forum policies but I've tried several options for running homeassistant but just couldn't get a stable environment but this is promising I want to keep it running on my unRAID box but never got a traditional vm to be stable (terrible at command line🙃) anyway will post if things turn south but I have timed a reboot against my virtualbox vm and its a bit faster with this setup

https://youtu.be/TSYL2PWQ3C4

Well ran into my first problem, the vdisk is only 6G and is completely full I cannot find where to change the size it won't let me do it in the VM configuration tab if I select the installation file the option to put a size on the vdisk goes away I looked at the html for an indicator for a vdisk and its size but no luck anyone want to take a shot helping out I will be googling in the mean time

***UPDATE****

problem solved for once I googled something and on the first hit found the solution that never happens

sudo qemu-img resize /mnt/user/domains/hassos_ova-4.6.qcow2 +32G

Edited by mrbilky
Problem solved
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been using Home Assistant as Docker in my UnRaid for some years now, and I once in a while having problem with my Docker image running out of space. Now I've found out that it has something to do with my Home Assistant.

First of all when I did this the size went back to normal.

truncate -s 0 /var/lib/docker/containers//-json.log

I then in UnRaid noticed that it's Home Assistant that grows in log size. It grows with 0.1 GB in an hour? (But also, I was 45 days ago I had this problem the last time).

image.png.709b83b1cdb2a6707c0a09c7f965ecbb.pngScreenshot 2020-10-30 at 13.00.24

image.png.69d2d21c8177b5320d1521f37f8090b6.pngScreenshot 2020-10-30 at 14.05.11

This is my settings for the Docker, and the appdata is on my cache disk, where also my Docker img is I think, but it's not the disk that is running out of space, but the docker with a fixed size of 35GB or something like that.

image.png.5408952e9cc160b6474ad8f90c282ccc.png

When I check the dockers this way

image.png.1bff90cadb99b47eee1d545c9c2d5056.png

It's like I'm only in the app data, and not in the Docker img, as I thought this way should do?

image.png.21d2c02d452c0adbacc0723ff1f82264.png

It's like the same as in app data..

image.png.c343b22f843b9bea2c562919abfd8afa.png

Should I do something else, and what can I do to fix this log problem filling up my Docker Img?

Thanks.

/Söder

image.png

• 1 month later...

hi i googled  to find this thread since the home assistant support page goes to home assistant and not here

so i installed  the home assistant..  that doesnt work at all..  i installed the home assistant core.. and that lets you create a user name and logs in and then lets your pick from a list but it didnt have the raspberry pi  option..  i tried posting in the home assistant help but no replys

and i dont find real documentation.. as i need  step by step

what i like since this is home automation

i want this home asstant to have 6 icons

3 icons for 3 relays on Raspberry Pi 1

3 icons for 3 relays on Raspberry Pi 2

so if i press any 6 of them they will flip the  icons on

and like to drag and drop the icons  like an Visual Basic program  or say like your phone Andrioid moving icons any postion  on the screen

how do i do that with unraid  running this home assistant...  i didnt find the info on google  and i not sure if the home assistant group can help since its not for unraid..

and how do you guys fix the weather thing..  its option is for certain areas  like Toronto/ America  but map points in the UK  but i dont live near it..  why cant i get my specific town  just like the weather network?  

and there is no real youtube videos to set this up for dummies

39 minutes ago, comet424 said:

and there is no real youtube videos to set this up for dummies

There are literally hundreds of home assistant videos for dummies, what you want to do is not a standard setup and is going to require some thinking of your own.

You can run HASSOS in a VM on unraid, this will get Home Assistant up and running for you.

You can install NodeRED on to Home Assistant to create drag and drop automations.

Setup MQTT on Home Assistant, then look for MQTT clients for your pi clients that can control the gpio pins.

Use the Home Assistant dashboard to create clickable on/off switches.

@nicr4wks  if what i want is not standard setup which would be standard?   i did watch well in the middle of home assistant for beginners.. but they install hassos on a raspberry pi..   but i  installed the Docker  home assistant core    so i dont need a VM  ..   but when i load it up  and do the first skip.. there are no Addons  like the video talks about i do have developer mode i dont get the addon store  with home assistant core.. it seems to be missing the stuff in the video.. and the home assistant control panel doesnt load at all when you install it..

as  i was hoping the dummies videos to set it up for Unraid Docker  not a vm  but didnt see any  to get it up and running  and install these MQTT  or NodeRed..  but ill keep looking  and what VM are u using   as i figured you say  this is how you set it up in Docker  so you dont need to waste resources  running it in a VM

plus the couple documentations say you dont wanna run it as a VM  you wanna run it as a Docker for best performance and resources

Edited by comet424