Second License Purchase Question

Hello gents, new Unraid user and love it so far.  I already purchased a Pro license and I was wondering if you can offer some kind of discount if I purchase a second Pro license please as I am building a second system more for testing and as a backup Unraid :)   Any coupon, discount will be awesome please.  I hope you can help?

56 minutes ago, johnwhicker said:

Any coupon, discount will be awesome please.

A discounted 2nd or 3rd license was offered a few years ago in the major transition from unRAID v5 to v6 and I bought a couple of extra licenses. 

Since then, that has not been offered, but I would not hesitate to buy a couple of extra licenses at full price if a need arose.  For my purposes, at the current price levels unRAID remains a bargain even in comparison to free offerings (yes, a discount would still be nice, but, hopefully not an absolute necessity. 😀)

• Like 5

i got 3 licenses & I use one for my main server, 2nd license is for backup and testing, 3d license is for whatever I want to test of my tiny Intel G4600 or anything I want to experiment with.

To be honest the price isn't high & you don't need to get the pro license, you can just get the basic or plus if needed & upgrade in time.

Compered to FreeNAS, UNRAID has an amazing user friendly GUI that is easy to use. In addition URNAID has a LOT of plugins & dockers to use available via the "Community Applications" plugin. Not to forget this forum, the community feed back is awesome.

I wish they had something like a patroon account as a pool of cash that gets distributed among the devs so they can get support from us.

2 hours ago, PSYCHOPATHiO said:

i got 3 licenses & I use one for my main server, 2nd license is for backup and testing, 3d license is for whatever I want to test of my tiny Intel G4600 or anything I want to experiment with.

To be honest the price isn't high & you don't need to get the pro license, you can just get the basic or plus if needed & upgrade in time.

Compered to FreeNAS, UNRAID has an amazing user friendly GUI that is easy to use. In addition URNAID has a LOT of plugins & dockers to use available via the "Community Applications" plugin. Not to forget this forum, the community feed back is awesome.

I wish they had something like a patroon account as a pool of cash that gets distributed among the devs so they can get support from us.

I agree, is worth the entrance price :)  I am loving the Unraid simplicity. Still testing it so I guess I should be ok as far as reliability goes.  Probably the system is as good as the hardware is, right?

20 hours ago, ezhik said:

I hope you folks understand that you are buying a 'lifetime' license with free upgrades - I don't think this gets any better than this. When you put it in perspective of what the OS will be like in 5-10 years - think about the investment now.

This! I will probably be buying 2-3 more licenses myself. A discount would be nice, but if not its fine. I L O V E lifetime software purchases. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, XiuzSu said:

This! I will probably be buying 2-3 more licenses myself. A discount would be nice, but if not its fine. I L O V E lifetime software purchases. 

When I first joined the unRAID family, I also was thinking about discounts and promotions. Then I used the software for a few years watching the community thrive, provide support and developers listen to the community and address issues, review suggestions and then deliver.

I think by now I own 5 pro licenses and I could not be happier, even if I do not need the full fledged license, I still bought it to support the project and the endless hours the developers put in to support the community.

We have to think about the time that the devs put in into R&D, most people only want to see the results - but behind each success story is the 'blood and tears' in making it work, making it stable and reliable. 

Anyways, welcome to the community!

After years of using unRAID for a handful of use-cases - I can say with a high degree of confidence, you will love it. Do note, this solution will probably won't do EVERYTHING you wish for, but it will do most:

- Docker containers

- VMs

- Reliable Array

And always remember, the 'simple' is the new 'fancy'.

Whichever solution you decide to build, should be well documented and well operated. For critical data always have two backups and a contingency plan if something goes down, hence potentially buying another unRAID server license to have a back-up setup for critical data should suffice.  I have an unRAID server that is mostly 'off' and I do a monthly 'rsync' of critical documents and pictures.

Cheers!

Im just really poor thats all. Im not saying its not worth it. I dont even use new hardware on my unraid build I do have. I have to cobble together what I can and run with it. You guys all have your awesome setups with threadrippers etc so a license is pretty cheap compared to that.  

Edited by PeteAsking

1 hour ago, PeteAsking said:

awesome setups with threadrippers

This is my first Unraid build: 

And the current build main server while significantly better (i5-8400), aren't anywhere near in the class of a Threadripper.  While I'd love to have a threadripper running multiple VMs with passed through video etc, I can't justify it to my pocket book (why spend $1000 to save $10/year on hydro), and simply repurpose old hardware to fulfill other duties in the house (HTPC's, Daily Driver PC, etc)  (The secondary server is pretty much in the same class as the posted link)

The only thing that I outright insist on spending money on are keyboards, mice, and a top of the line gaming monitor (but I don't game).   These are the items which dictate the experience you actually have interacting with your system.

The sweet thing about Unraid is that it scales with the hardware you have.  And pretty much any budget system can accomplish far more than you would ever expect from it.  I own 3 Pro Licences.  The cost of them is actually a significant fraction of the cost of the servers (excluding hard drives), but it is a one time cost, and I honestly can't believe I ever got by before I found this OS, even when using free solutions or (god-forbid) Windows as a server.

8 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

Im just really poor thats all. Im not saying its not worth it. I dont even use new hardware on my unraid build I do have. I have to cobble together what I can and run with it. You guys all have your awesome setups with threadrippers etc so a license is pretty cheap compared to that.  

My systems are not fancy either. We are talking about something along the lines of X9SCL + 16GB DDR3 ECC RAM + E3 1245L + 9211 8i HBA. These are not expensive setups, you can find these pretty cheap on ebay. Money is money and remember, if you go super cheap - that won't last either. Strike the right balance.

There are systems that take years to build as you buy it piece by piece through out the year, also do note - migrating from system to another system is pretty seamless process - take the usb and plug it in a new system (more or less should work out of the box there as well).

Edited by ezhik
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, PeteAsking said:

I don't have a system crazy like that... yet. I have re-purpose my old gaming rig. Recently purchase a SAS card for more drives, quad NIC for pfsense, and a rosewell server case and its getting to be a quite nice server. Trust me, its worth it.

Here is a good example of a decent deal:

SuperMicro X9SCL Motherboard w/ Intel Xeon E3-1240 v2 & I/O Shield - $99USD :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264691578596

Supermicro X9SCL-F Motherboard w/ Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 3.30GHz 16GB ECC Ram IPMI $135

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193287716939

Supermicro X10SLL-F Motherboard w/ Xeon E3 1240v3 3.4Ghz CPU 16G ECC ram and HSU $187

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193254364339

Edited by ezhik