USBs keep switching to Read-Only

Hi guys,

I'm been having an issue with my Unraid for about a month, and not sure what could be causing it. I'll apologize now if this is a bit long winded or rambles a bit, but I thought I'd document everything since this is driving me nuts.  The situation is that I keep having USBs go to read-only.  The first one was the original USB and after 6 years, I figure had done its time.  The next was probably my fault for using a USB3 rather than 2, and fair enough. This one however, is definitely a USB2 and nothing was going on out of the ordinary.  I'm attaching a copy of the diagnostics which hopefully someone can see something I've been missing.  The latest USB was completely brand new about two weeks old.

I am on Unraid 6.8.3 and all my dockers and various other sub-systems are typically up-to-date.  Hardware wise, the only changes from the original USB going kaput is put in some new fans to keep the system cooler and moved a Video card in so I could use a VM as my main machine.  Current specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B450 AORUS ELITE

Bios: vF50 (one less than current since I coudn't get that to install properly.)

Memory: 64Gb

Log from the USB Drive is only:

Jun 17 23:54:21 DataStore kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 30548096 512-byte logical blocks: (15.6 GB/14.6 GiB)
Jun 17 23:54:21 DataStore kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
Jun 17 23:54:21 DataStore kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
Jun 17 23:54:21 DataStore kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
Jun 17 23:54:21 DataStore kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
Jun 17 23:54:21 DataStore kernel: sda: sda1
Jun 17 23:54:21 DataStore kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
Jun 17 23:54:56 DataStore emhttpd: Verbatim_ToughMax_1317110000000623-0:0 (sda) 512 30548096
Jun 17 23:54:56 DataStore emhttpd: import flash device: sda
Jun 24 05:07:02 DataStore kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): error, invalid access to FAT (entry 0x0f7ffff7)
Jun 24 05:07:02 DataStore kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Filesystem has been set read-only

I haven't rebooted the machine yet to see if that makes a difference since in the previous cases it hadn't and I thought I'd leave it on in case anyone has an idea I need to check.  This latest case came up overnight and nothing apparently out of the ordinary was going on.  I had just finished using the machine earlier, went to bed, and in the morning, my phone notified me the USB flipped.

datastore-diagnostics-20200624-0746.zip

Edited by LordRaven
File didn't attach originally.

Does anyone know if there's a way to switch a USB back to read/write in Unraid?  I'm assuming I could try the other method via a Windows that I've seen online, however I know with my previous attempts it didn't work and I'm kind of not wanting to risk shutting down my server if it means it won't atleast limp by like its doing now.

Okay, fair enough.  Is there a way to figure out what caused it to switch?  Its a brand new USB only a few weeks out of the wrapper, and given I've had 3 go in the last month, I'm guessing its a config or some corruption in my setup.  I'm hoping to figure out what's causing it so I don't have to rebuild my entire system from scratch as if I was setting up a brand new machine.

• 2 weeks later...