USB flash drive lost (sort of)

I can't seem to find an exact match to my issue here, please forgive if it's addressed elsewhere, I did try to search it out, just coming up blank.

So my (bonehead) 18 year old needed a USB stick, and you guessed it, pulled my Unraid stick.  He did copy the drive contents to his desktop first, then formatted the drive.  I copied the files back over again, but it was unbootable.  I then ran the makeboot.bat, which did get it booting, but the web interface isn't coming up.  I'm able to SSH into the box, but it's not prompting for a password when I log in as root.  Am I totally buggered here?

27 minutes ago, trurl said:

Is the volume name for the flash still "UNRAID"?

Yes, it is.  Whoever wrote the batch file did a great job, it called it out that the volume name needed to be UNRAID, once I set that, it made the drive bootable, but the web interface doesn't come up, and looks like the root password was wiped out.

You could try copying just the config folder onto a new install. The config folder has everything about your configuration.

Instead of relying on 

53 minutes ago, Steiner49er said:

my (bonehead) 18 year old

you should always keep a current backup of flash. You can download a zipped backup of flash at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup

22 minutes ago, trurl said:

You could try copying just the config folder onto a new install. The config folder has everything about your configuration.

Instead of relying on 

you should always keep a current backup of flash. You can download a zipped backup of flash at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup

Looks like I might be in trouble then, the config folder has two folders in it, SSL and plugins-removed.  So now I guess I need to set it up again... I know my data is all still there, but I don't know the drives order, etc.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:52 PM, trurl said:

It is very important that you not assign a data disk to a parity slot or the data will be overwritten by parity. If you don't know which disk(s) for parity then don't assign any to parity.

Unfortunately I can't recall which drives were set for parity... they are all WD 8TB drives and I set it up almost a year ago.  Is it possible to plug the drives into a windows machine and read the drives?

If you assign all the drives as data drives, then the parity drive will come up as unmountable.  Reassign the drives accordingly.

NOTE: If you have more drives come up as unmountable than you had parity disks, then stop immediately and post a set of diagnostics and wait for assistance.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

If you assign all the drives as data drives, then the parity drive will come up as unmountable.  Reassign the drives accordingly.

NOTE: If you have more drives come up as unmountable than you had parity disks, then stop immediately and post a set of diagnostics and wait for assistance.

Thanks Squid!!

What  if you  have two parity drives ??

14 hours ago, Squid said:

2 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

I would guess that it is the same procedure, except two drives would then be seen as unmountable.

I wonder if the order of Parity 1 and Parity 2 is important when assigning those drives ?

Parity1 is not affected by order, but parity2 is.  The safest thing is to not assume parity is valid and generate new parity as then it does not matter.

To expand even further, since you don't know what the order of the actual drives are anyways, the odds of getting them back in the same order as they were previously is slim, which means that even if you flip the coin and get parity2 assigned correctly, it's information will still be invalid.  So, it is best (as stated) to assume that the parity info is invalid and rebuild it when you have dual parity drives.

3 hours ago, Squid said:

To expand even further, since you don't know what the order of the actual drives are anyways, the odds of getting them back in the same order as they were previously is slim, which means that even if you flip the coin and get parity2 assigned correctly, it's information will still be invalid.  So, it is best (as stated) to assume that the parity info is invalid and rebuild it when you have dual parity drives.

and hooray (sarcasm) for SMR drives.... going to take a while to generate, but at least I have a path!  I'll be working on this today.

I've generated a new USB stick, Unraid is running, I assigned all the drives and started the array.  SDB and SDE came up as unmountable, so my parity drives.  I stopped the array and tried setting everything to no device, then Parity 1 SDB, Parity 2 SDE, then Disk 1, 2, and 3 the remaining drives, but I'm not able to start the array, it's telling me Wrong on those 3 drives, and Missing on the last 2, do I need to clear a config somehow?

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes, you need to do a new config (Tools -> New config)

Thank you!!

I can see my data drives now, I didn't set parity yet, but will do that now.

Thank you everyone who's chipped in here, you all have been extremely helpful and I really appreciate it!  Great community!

4 hours ago, Steiner49er said:

Thank you!!

I can see my data drives now, I didn't set parity yet, but will do that now.

Thank you everyone who's chipped in here, you all have been extremely helpful and I really appreciate it!  Great community!

I am in similar situation as you.. .  What happened with all of your docker files-- did the configs all show up correctly or you have to reinstall each one...  (the appdata and docker iso is all on the  array /cache  so just needing to know  what I will have to do later tonight when I get to that stage. 

20 minutes ago, Aceriz said:

I am in similar situation as you.. .  What happened with all of your docker files-- did the configs all show up correctly or you have to reinstall each one...  (the appdata and docker iso is all on the  array /cache  so just needing to know  what I will have to do later tonight when I get to that stage. 

I assumed I would have to reinstall everything, but I see Emby and FineM listed, and Emby even started and is serving up on my network.  All the plugins are gone, so I'll have to rebuild those.

Edited by Steiner49er
everything, not anything
33 minutes ago, Aceriz said:

the appdata and docker iso is all on the  array /cache

But the docker templates are on flash, so you will have to setup the mappings, etc. again. If you had the templates then you could use the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page and it would use those templates to setup your dockers exactly as they were.

Having the docker image without the templates doesn't really help. The dockers executable code is in the image and they will run but you can't manage them from the Unraid webUI without the templates. The appdata is still good though since that will have everything the applications were doing. The dockers will have to be setup and installed again so they use that appdata, etc.