Old Drive with lots of SMART errors

Hi guys, I've had this drive in cold storage for years. Last I remember, this drive had issues with one of my motherboards and caused data corruption. I contacted Seagate and they sent me a brand new drive which still works today. That being said, I never really checked it after that and found it in an old box. I popped it in and it had a lot of SMART data errors, but it's overall-health is marked as PASS.

It's a Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 drive, just wanted the community's opinion to see if it's safe to use?

Screenshot from 2020-06-28 17-44-18.png

As shown, that's a definite NO to using it in the parity protected array. It could possibly be ok to use as a scratch drive for transitory data you don't care about if it passes an extended smart test and reallocates or verifies those current pending sectors.

Never use a questionable drive in the parity array, all drives must be read perfectly from end to end to reconstruct a failed drive.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

As shown, that's a definite NO to using it in the parity protected array. It could possibly be ok to use as a scratch drive for transitory data you don't care about if it passes an extended smart test and reallocates or verifies those current pending sectors.

Never use a questionable drive in the parity array, all drives must be read perfectly from end to end to reconstruct a failed drive.

Great point, I thought I'd put it in the array and it if fails, the rest of them can rebuild it, but I forgot that other drives could fail before it and cause even more issues. 2TB just isn't worth it for the headaches it can cause.

I'll run an extended pre-clear run on it, maybe 5 rounds and if nothing changes, it'll go in the backup server to backup the backups. Thanks for your input everyone.