[SOLVED] VM+gpu stutters when 2nd GPU assigned to Plex begins transcoding

Tried searching for this but didn't even know how to phrase it right.

So this is what's happening.

Got a VM with GPU passed in - VM is a nvme passthrough.  << This part's working, cool.

Got a second GPU intended to handle Plex transcodes.  NVIDIA plugin installed, drivers installed, GPU passed into Plex container, Plex setting to enable HW transcoding done.  Plex is running, cool.

Now, when I play something through Plex and force a transcode, the VM freaks out and start freezing and just being generally unusable.  In fact, without even playing anything on Plex, if I run nvidia-smi through terminal, the VM also starts to lock up and freaks out.

So it appears the two GPUs in my system are linked and putting one under load is affecting the other?

Attached diagnostics.

jfs-diagnostics-20200629-1643.zip

Edited by thisguyhere

11 hours ago, TIE Fighter said:

What is your setup? 

Ryzen 3900x

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro

12 hours ago, TIE Fighter said:

In what slot are the two gpu:s connected? 

Hope this isn't too messy.

Actually I just tried running Plex with HW transcoding while the VM is shut down, and it definitely isn't working normally.

On the previous server, using the same GPU (1050), streams with HW transcode would play almost immediately.  Right now, it hangs for a while.  And then if I play another stream, nvidia-smi reports only one process despite two streams.  Previously all streams would be reported in nvidia-smi.

There's definitely something funky going on, will need more troubleshooting.

01.thumb.png.017636d6dd36de33675b3f7b25478ba3.png

Edited by thisguyhere
10 hours ago, scorcho99 said:

Is there a reason you have all the acs override options on? I'm mostly asking because I don't know if its required for this chipset or not since its so new!

everything was bunched up and nvme vm passthrough would not work without it enabled.

• Thanks 1