Does all hardware work with all features in Unraid?

SPOautos

1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

Yes, you can.  One of the unRAID boot options is unRAID OS GUI mode.  This boots into a GUI on a monitor directly attached to the server.

If you click on the the flash drive on the Main page, you can select the default boot option by clicking the radio button on the desired option.

You can also select during boot (if you have an attached monitor and keyboard or IPMI) an option other than the default.

image.thumb.png.36867036fe1e720b90a9577b5e46505e.png

Thank you so much for the info! So I suppose I would be able to hook the server to my TV via hdmi and pull it up that way to manage unraid, start a vm session or click on a Docker app....correct?  I know it's not technically a monitor but it should work shouldnt it?

I like the idea of web Interface but if I just wanted to do something like my son enter a vm to play games I'd rather unraid be able to just be pulled up on the TV and the vm started.

If booted in unraid gui mode, does it still have the ability to do web Interface? Or is it one or the other where you have to select one and reboot?

Edited by SPOautos
2 hours ago, SPOautos said:

Thank you so much for the info! So I suppose I would be able to hook the server to my TV via hdmi and pull it up that way to manage unraid, start a vm session or click on a Docker app....correct?

Yes, it is a full-featured GUI. 

TV/Monitor should be fine just a long as it takes the appropriate connection from your video output on the server.

If booted in unraid gui mode, does it still have the ability to do web Interface?

Yes, you can always access the GUI in a browser from any other computer.  Booting the server itself in GUI mode does not prevent access via a browser from a client machine.

• Like 1

I would be able to hook the server to my TV via hdmi

That's what I did when I was testing my rebuild.

If booted in unraid gui mode, does it still have the ability to do web Interface?

It is a web interface either way. The gui mode is just a simple linux desktop with firefox browser installed, and that firefox is using the web interface. And other computers on the network can use that same web interface.

• Like 1

I've been thinking about backup capabilities. I will have a lot of data but some is more important than others.  

I will have 4 drives....3 data (18TB) and 1 parity (6TB).  Would it be possible to have a folder or group of folders on say drive 1 that backup to say drive 3 on a weekly or monthly auto scheduled basis? I know still being in the same computer this is not ideal but as a temporary measure is it possible wouldnt it?  If so, and if this would this require a Docker app, can you guys give me some app recommendations?

I've been doing some researching regarding vm's for gaming. It seems like some people get them working flawless and some people struggle to get their gaming running well. A lot of that seems to be hardware related. 

I suppose with vm gaming you dont get am much resources as gaming on a actual windows 10 maching since your having to also run unraid and the virtualization. So I suppose it takes more cpu/ram to get equal results on a vm as opposed to a win10 PC 

If that's true, do you think a xeon e5-2690v3 with 32gb ram (3000mhz pc424000 but listed in the bios a 2133mhz due to that being the max compatibility for the xeon 2690v3). GPU is okay but nothing amazing, strix rx580 oc edition...but should be fine for 1080p.

Should this setup run well for vm gaming? My son is going to be looking for a experience that's as good as being on a win 10 pc. Now I'm wondering if this hardware will be sufficient for vm gaming.  I can put the vm on a ssd or nvme ssd if that's better.

Edited by SPOautos