[SOLVED] Onboard ethernet ports not detected in unraid but present in system devices

Hi, 

I am building a virtualization + docker server and I decided I wanted to test out unraid to ensure it is a viable solution.

I purchased a supermicro x10dri from the used market for the task and installed a trial of unraid to a usb stick. On initial boot, the only available ethernet ports were those of my add-in cards (two 4x1gbe cards and one 2x10gbe card), and these worked fine for networking once setup. The issue is, the onboard lan ports are not at all in the device list and I kind of want forward all my add-in cards to a VM. Initially I suspected that a jumper on the motherboard was in the "disabled" state but that was not the case, and I know the ports work, even if they aren't present in the interface, they do light up when plugged in. I'm at a veritable stump at this point in time and not quite sure what else I could do. The onboard controller is the intel I350 so it shouldn't be an issue, and both ports are present in the pcie devices in their own respective groups. Running lshw -class network (IPMI FTW) results in an 'UNCLAIMED' state for both ethernet ports and I'm not sure how to claim them.

It is somewhat hard to access files on the server at this point in time due to the connection issue so I'll only upload system logs if absolutely necessary.

15 minutes ago, meh301 said:

hard to access files on the server at this point in time due to the connection issue so I'll only upload system logs if absolutely necessary.

At the command line, enter

diagnostics

and the diagnostics will be saved to the flash drive, then you can get them from there for us.

NICs are detect but there's an error and the driver is not loaded:

Jul  2 09:56:38 Kenchitaru-Serv kernel: igb 0000:09:00.1: The NVM Checksum Is Not Valid
Jul  2 09:56:38 Kenchitaru-Serv kernel: igb: probe of 0000:09:00.1 failed with error -5

Quick Google search found this, see if it helps.

https://superuser.com/questions/1197908/network-eth0-missing-the-nvm-checksum-is-not-valid-with-asus-maximus-ix-hero

48 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

NICs are detect but there's an error and the driver is not loaded:

Jul  2 09:56:38 Kenchitaru-Serv kernel: igb 0000:09:00.1: The NVM Checksum Is Not Valid
Jul  2 09:56:38 Kenchitaru-Serv kernel: igb: probe of 0000:09:00.1 failed with error -5

Quick Google search found this, see if it helps.

https://superuser.com/questions/1197908/network-eth0-missing-the-nvm-checksum-is-not-valid-with-asus-maximus-ix-hero

I ran it and it works! Guess I'll have to buy a licence for unraid now

• Like 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Onboard ethernet ports not detected in unraid but present in system devices
  • 3 years later...
On 7/2/2020 at 12:28 PM, meh301 said:

Hi, 

I am building a virtualization + docker server and I decided I wanted to test out unraid to ensure it is a viable solution.

I purchased a supermicro x10dri from the used market for the task and installed a trial of unraid to a usb stick. On initial boot, the only available ethernet ports were those of my add-in cards (two 4x1gbe cards and one 2x10gbe card), and these worked fine for networking once setup. The issue is, the onboard lan ports are not at all in the device list and I kind of want forward all my add-in cards to a VM. Initially I suspected that a jumper on the motherboard was in the "disabled" state but that was not the case, and I know the ports work, even if they aren't present in the interface, they do light up when plugged in. I'm at a veritable stump at this point in time and not quite sure what else I could do. The onboard controller is the intel I350 so it shouldn't be an issue, and both ports are present in the pcie devices in their own respective groups. Running lshw -class network (IPMI FTW) results in an 'UNCLAIMED' state for both ethernet ports and I'm not sure how to claim them.

It is somewhat hard to access files on the server at this point in time due to the connection issue so I'll only upload system logs if absolutely necessary.

My friend its hard-to-find good help these days when you ask something people are so quick at makes sure they know what mother board and bios and all the way down to what kind of batt for your CMOS but don't care what you have when they slap a google search  up don't blame them as people like them will just say there doing their job. The best thing I have found is it look for help on google and or youtube is the best places to get help for unraid space invaders on YouTube is good outdated but still good info my friend hope you found help take care