Missing files after replacing disk

"Interesting" problem here that has me a bit panicked. 

Very small array running on Version: 6.8.3 with just 3 drives - parity, data, and cache. 

Pulled up the GUI yesterday and it said that disk 1 had failed. Popped it out, replaced it with an identical (blank) disk and waited a few hours for the data rebuild to complete. Went in this morning and my shares were gone and I can't find any of the files anymore(!). (Array shows 38gb used out of 2tb - am unsure if that represents simply files the array needs to operate or if my missing files are somehow included in that total)

Am I completely hosed? 

(I'm not a complete noob as I've been running another 30tb box for several years now-but never had an issue replacing a disk before like this, nor had an array this small)

well that's disappointing - and certainly explains a lot - 

My memory says the new disk needed to be formatted when I installed it and I (of course) didn't read the whole error message.

Sigh - 

Thanks for your help, even if it's not the answer I was hoping for - much appreciated :)