Need Advice for running VM

Hi everyone 

So im trying to figure out if my pc will be enough to run unraid and vm .

So i have i7 5820k , asus x99 pro with 16 gb ram , gtx 1080

Im planning on building raid5  with 3 4tb hdd the problem is i need win 10 machine to run Blue iris (camera mgmt software) and Blu IRis uses between 35-60 % cpu and on average 8-12 gb of ram , will my cpu handle both ? unraid and camera software (sometimes BI might jump to 70 % cpu)

NAS will be primarly used as storage (pic , doc etc) and once in a while for plex

Are you sure blue iris needs that much cpu resources?  Per their documentation, it seems like one or two cores on your i7 should be plenty.  You will likely need to buy some more ram if you intend to use the VM as a 'daily driver' in addition to the blue iris software.  If it were me, I'd buy a 16gb (2x8) ram kit for less than $70. Assign the VM 4 of the 6 cores and 24 of the 32gb ram, and you should be good to go.  That leaves 2 cores and 8gb ram for unraid to manage everything in the background, and your VM should perform fine for what you're looking for.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, hiptoss said:

Are you sure blue iris needs that much cpu resources?  Per their documentation, it seems like one or two cores on your i7 should be plenty.  You will likely need to buy some more ram if you intend to use the VM as a 'daily driver' in addition to the blue iris software.  If it were me, I'd buy a 16gb (2x8) ram kit for less than $70. Assign the VM 4 of the 6 cores and 24 of the 32gb ram, and you should be good to go.  That leaves 2 cores and 8gb ram for unraid to manage everything in the background, and your VM should perform fine for what you're looking for.

Thank you so much for reply. Their website is not too accurate .  I have 5 cameras and in multiview cpu is at 35-39 % , it jumps to mid 50 % when i expand 1 camera due to resolution and frames ( im on a bit high side ) i can bumb ram to 48 gd is it better ? I can give 32 to unraid if it will make perfomance better and leave 16 for blue iris.  Iris is not using ram that much. Oh and vm need to run 24/7. Also does unraid support iscsi ? 

Edited by kratosxxl

Cameras recording system usually not CPU or RAM intensive ( no encode need ), you don't need care for 50%+ CPU usage. You should concern disk I/O and throughput, especially housekeep / purge tons of small video file.

For example, Ubiquiti video product also use very low-end system to handle 20 cameras.

Edited by Benson
1 hour ago, Benson said:

Cameras recording system usually not CPU or RAM intensive ( no encode need ), you don't need care for 50%+ CPU usage. You should concern disk I/O and throughput, especially housekeep / purge tons of small video file.

For example, Ubiquiti video product also use very low-end system to handle 20 cameras.

Agree , but thats not a case with Blue Iris 

image.png.3444d888d145c7d4e67e260d8f047ee4.png

this is in multiview , so it is cpu intensive , for example Digital watchdog uses 0 cpu , but mine uses lot of cpu 

So i need to understand how many cores unraid need  to run smooth same for ram 

5 hours ago, Benson said:

Blue Iris eats CPUs for breakfast and RAM for lunch. On my i7-8700 / 32GB system I have 2 cores/4 threads and 12GB of RAM dedicated to my W10 Blue Iris VM along with the iGPU. Those cores idle around 50%, and 70% while viewing the 10 cameras tiled remotely via UI3 in a browser, 40-50% if only viewing 1. That is after optimizing the devil out of Blue Iris.

I Tested a few different configurations in my particular setup, 2 cores and 12GB was the sweet spot. More cores/threads and less RAM was significantly worse, so if you plan on doing anything else on the server, add more RAM

3 minutes ago, Michael_P said:

Blue Iris eats CPUs for breakfast and RAM for lunch.

Note.

I use Intel J1900 to handle 3 cam (Ubiquiti UVC) haven't problem even live view all in same time, may be Blue Iris will do some encoding for streaming.

2 hours ago, Benson said:

Note.

I use Intel J1900 to handle 3 cam (Ubiquiti UVC) haven't problem even live view all in same time, may be Blue Iris will do some encoding for streaming.

A lot of the CPU usage is motion detection, 4k streams have a lot of pixels to compare and blue iris is very good at it - the in-camera's ASIC is faster, but more prone to false alerts (shadows, leaves, bugs)