[SOLVED] Drive Disabled

SMART attributes look OK but there's a recent device error logged, difficult to say if it's a disk problem just by that, I would suggest replacing/swapping cables on that disk to rule them out and rebuild, if it happens again after that it's likely a disk problem.

P.S. also a good idea to update the LSI firmware since it's very old, current release is 20.00.07.00

22 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

SMART attributes look OK but there's a recent device error logged, difficult to say if it's a disk problem just by that, I would suggest replacing/swapping cables on that disk to rule them out and rebuild, if it happens again after that it's likely a disk problem.

P.S. also a good idea to update the LSI firmware since it's very old, current release is 20.00.07.00

18 minutes ago, sting.pirates said:

Cable can be one issue so tryn swap the cables with a new one once. If that doesn't help then there is high chance of hardware issue.

Thanks to you both 

Since the sata cables is part of a 4way breakout from my sata controller, i think i try the lsi firmware update 1st, considering ive upgraded mobu and cpu.

Then try both cables.

On 7/6/2020 at 6:38 PM, sting.pirates said:

Is you problem solved ??

Hi, 

Sorry taking long to come back

No. Drive is still disabled

I have swapped sata and power cables, and the drive is still disabled.

I haven't upgraded firmware of LSI card yet - mainly cos i couldnt get the files needed onto a bootable usb that worked for me - Perhaps im just going about it all wrong!!!

Aside from firmware - Is there anything else i can do?

Could i clear that drive and start it again?

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Once a drive gets disable it needs to be rebuilt, on top of the old disk or to a new one, just check that the emulated disk is mounting correctly and contents look OK before rebuilding on top.

As this is my parity drive that's disabled, i'm assuming its not emulating anything?

All my other drives are connected and working - I'm currently running a read-check

This the best way to rebuild?

1. Stop array

2. Unmount disk

3. Reboot or start array?

4. Re-assign disk

5. Run Parity check and rebuild

?????

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Drive Disabled