[SOLVED] Can't boot from USB device

Hi,

I just received my new server which consists of:

Supermicro H11-SSLi

Epyc 7702P

8x64GB 2933MHz RAM

8x 14 TB HDD

4x4TB NVMe SSD

and tried to boot unraid from two different USB devices. However, when I'm in the boot menu and select the device to boot from, it just prompts me back to the boot menu. I don't believe it is a boot configuration problem in the BIOS because I can boot to a different USB stick I had ESXi on.

I used the unraid installer tool to create my bootable USB device for unraid 6.8.3 stable.

Any help would be much appreciated, please let me know if I need to provide more info.

Edited by David Dernovoj
8 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Try booting in UEFI mode, you need to enable it when creating the boot device, or go to the flash drive and rename EFI- to EFI.

Wow, if I had known it could be so easy... I thought it was something about UEFI but I wasn't sure what to do

Renaming did the trick, but how would I enable it in the flash creator? Customize -> Allow UEFI Boot?

Thank you rachid for your suggestions, too. Looks like it was as simple as getting the EFI boot to work. Now I just need to get it up and running, but that's for me to play around with again.

Edit: I'm new here as you can probably tell, can I somehow mark this as resolved?

Edited by David Dernovoj
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Can't boot from USB device
  • 1 month later...