[SOLVED] Tried to upgrade from 6.7.0 to 6.8.3 and now caught in boot loop with Supermicro boot errors. Help!

I was running 6.7.0 and trying to upgrade to 6.8.3. Machine is stuck at boot post screen with complaints about “recovery image not found”. It’s a system error vs an Unraid error but clearly tied to the Unraid upgrade for some reason.

I first see this:

https://i.imgur.com/hidhy60.jpg

Here’s the video showing the error and loop:

https://imgur.com/a/vxEyefH

Any ideas what’s going on?!

(It’s a Supermicro X10SLH motherboard if that matters)

Nothing to do with Unraid. (can be confirmed by booting without the USB. Should still see this message). Probably an unlucky coicidence when you booted the machine . Looks like you BIOS has suffered a corruption and is looking for a recovery image on the USB that it can not find.

For most supermicros you put the latest BIOS image (renamed to SUPER.ROM ) on a usb and boot with it to recover.

Check the supermicro site for your exact mb rom version and try that.

Nothing to do with Unraid. (can be confirmed by booting without the USB. Should still see this message). Probably an unlucky coicidence when you booted the machine . Looks like you BIOS has suffered a corruption and is looking for a recovery image on the USB that it can not find.
For most supermicros you put the latest BIOS image (renamed to SUPER.ROM ) on a usb and boot with it to recover.

Check the supermicro site for your exact mb rom version and try that.

You were totally right. It was a bad luck thing.

I flashed my bios through IPMI, had to remove cmos battery to reset bios and then was able to get back up and running. What a pain but it’s all behind me now. Appreciate your response.
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Tried to upgrade from 6.7.0 to 6.8.3 and now caught in boot loop with Supermicro boot errors. Help!