Slow reads via SMB on MacOSX Catalina ...

Hey guys,

OK, after ruling storage speeds out by tuning the server so locally everything is set up for read speeds well beyond 1200MiBs for sequential reads, the main purpose of the UnRAID build, I ran into the following problem:

When accessing the SMB-share from MacOSX Catalina utilising 10Gbe, where SMB signing and also directory caching is switched off, I got write speeds up to about 800 to 900 MiB/s, which is totally fine, even though roughly at 66% of theoretical throughput of 10Gbe, but the read speeds are capped off at max 600MiB/s, meaning, I'm seeing small spikes to 600MiB/s every minute or so for a few seconds, and then I'm getting very constant 570MiB/s (plus/minus 10).

I have tried to implement tunings of the sysctl.conf on the Catalina-machine, but since Catalina needs to have SIL disabled for this, and the sysctl.conf needed to be created totally now, I don't even know hot to check if those settings are activated. This is my sysctl.conf at the moment:

# OSX default of 3 is not big enough 
net.inet.tcp.win_scale_factor=8
# increase OSX TCP autotuning maximums
net.inet.tcp.autorcvbufmax=33554432
net.inet.tcp.autosndbufmax=33554432
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=67108864
net.inet.tcp.sendspace=2097152
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=2097152
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

Sadly, this didn't bring any performance gains I could measure.

Any other Mac users out there utilising 10Gbe and having fast enough storage to confirm faster read speeds through SMB?

What's your settings?

Thanks,

M