Is a SAS 2 drive enough speed to not cause delay from read and write over Gigabit network?

Currently, I use an nvme as cache, and at the same time, used for VM.

I was reading another Forum, and it was saying for Gigabit network, a SAS 10k rpm drive would be fast enough to read/ write without causing bottleneck. Is this correct?

Will my 7200 rpm drive, H7230AS60SUN3.0T - Sun 3TB 7200RPM SAS 6GB/s 64MB Cache Hot-Pluggable 3.5-inch Hard Drive, be enough to do the same? Assuming it is plugged into a Dell perc h310. I believe it uses LSI SAS 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any relatively modern disk should be able read/write at more than gigabit line speed (for large files), except very close to the inner sectors for some slower models, you can use the diskspeed docker to have an idea of your disks performance.

Great!  Will have to think how to reposition all my drives once again 🙂 Looks like I will be assigning an SSD to my VM permanently, and an HDD to my cache drive.  Add to that, I'll be replacing all my drives to SAS 3 TB.  Looks like a huge task ahead for me.  But to have an HDD as cache, and VM to unassigned disk may be something I should have done way earlier.

• 2 weeks later...