Unraid is freezing/crashing constantly on a Ryzen system - HELP!

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a new Unraid server, and I'm having a LOT of trouble getting it to run on the AMD platform.  I initially tried to install it on an X570 board with a Ryzen 5 3600x, and had problems with it freezing/crashing/kernel panicking whenever I tried to do anything substantial like installing krusader, copying files, etc.

I tried all of these suggested fixed I could find:

• Adding 'rcu_nocbs=0-11' in syslinux config
  • Set Global C-state control to disabled
  • Set Power Supply Idle Control to Typical Current Idle
  • Update BIOS to latest version 
  • Tried Unraid 6.8.3 and 6.9.0-beta22

None of those helped.  I then tried switching to an old B85 LGA1150 board with a dual core Intel chip, and it ran perfectly stable for 12+ hours while I was copying files and doing other stuff.

I thought maybe the X570 chipset was the issue and tried an X470 board with the same Ryzen 3600x chip, and it immediately froze again when I tried to launch Krusader.

I've also tried 2 different sets of memory, different video cards, different flash drives, and different HBAs with the 2 AMD boards with the same results.  I've also ran Windows on the AMD hardware with no problems before.

Am I missing something?  Are there any other things I can try to fix the stability issue on the Ryzen platform?

I'm trying to move to Unraid from a legacy RAID setup, and this experience has been incredibly frustrating.  I could certainly use some help.  Do I just need to go Intel for Unraid?  

Edited by Jackyl
updated
Just now, trurl said:

Yep, I saw that post before also and the memory settings are at their default (even tried running at lower speeds than rated), with no overclocking.  I've also tested the RAM with Memtest and they passed with no problems.  As I've said, I'm having the problem with 2 different memory sets.

18 minutes ago, Jackyl said:

Yep, I saw that post before also and the memory settings are at their default (even tried running at lower speeds than rated), with no overclocking.  I've also tested the RAM with Memtest and they passed with no problems.  As I've said, I'm having the problem with 2 different memory sets.

What motherboard(s) and RAM? Also, is your motherboard on the most recent BIOS?

7 minutes ago, ramblinreck47 said:

What motherboard(s) and RAM? Also, is your motherboard on the most recent BIOS?

MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max

MSI X570-A PRO

2 x Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B30000C15 8GB (DDR4-3000)

2 x SK Hynix HMA82GU6CJR8N 16GB (DDR4-2666)

The X570 board I've tried the latest stable version of the BIOS.  I tried flashing to the latest beta bios and that actually killed the board, so I'm waiting to RMA that.

THe X470's BIOS is on a version of November of last year, and I haven't tried the newest version because it didn't have any effect on the X570 board.

I've tried various combinations of the above boards and memory modules in both single and dual configs with same results.  

Just tried using USB 2.0 port, same thing.

Also just tried Unraid v6.8.2 with the same freezing problem happening right away.  Sometimes it'll freeze right when i try to start the array, other times when I try to start Krusader, or if I happen to get as far as starting Krusader, when I start copying files it'll freeze.

Sometimes I'll see the kernel panic on the screen like below, other times it just freezes and the screen is sitting at the login prompt.

image.png.2b475fbcd62ddd7d2404092a45ba059c.png

25 minutes ago, ramblinreck47 said:

Do you have any scripts to run on Array start? Have you tried with a clean unRAID build on a different flash drive?

Nope, no scripts running.  Only additional items are Unassigned Devices plugin, binhex-krusader docker, and Fix Common Issues plugin.  And yes, I've tried doing a clean install on both flash drives.  Even tried wiping all of the drives, setting up a new array, and formatting all the drives again.  

The ONLY time it did not crash beyond 15~min is when I tried the old Intel board+CPU.  I was able to copy about 8TB of data from an unassigned drive on the same system overnight. 

15 minutes ago, xPliZit_xs said:

If you can try only to use one memory kit to see if the machine is stable. I have not seen anyone since ryzen release use modules from 2 manufacturers at the same time in a 4 slot config. Thats probably your issue.

I'm not using a combination of the 2 different memory modules I listed above.  I was just listing the 2 different sets that I tried for testing.  

I've only tried using 2 x corsair, 1 x corsair, 2 x hynix, and 1 x hynix.  All resulted in the same freezing/crashes.

I just swapped the X470 board out again for the Intel board, and again I'm able to start the array, mount unassigned drives, launch krusader, copy files with no problems.

Starting to run out of ideas... I'd really like to figure out the problem so that I don't have to go buy Intel stuff for my migration.  Only thing I can think of at this point is maybe an AMD board from a different manufacturer.  I guess the one thing that didn't change between the 2 MSI boards i've tried is the 3600X... 

19 hours ago, Jackyl said:

I'm not using a combination of the 2 different memory modules I listed above.  I was just listing the 2 different sets that I tried for testing.  

I've only tried using 2 x corsair, 1 x corsair, 2 x hynix, and 1 x hynix.  All resulted in the same freezing/crashes.

I just swapped the X470 board out again for the Intel board, and again I'm able to start the array, mount unassigned drives, launch krusader, copy files with no problems.

Starting to run out of ideas... I'd really like to figure out the problem so that I don't have to go buy Intel stuff for my migration.  Only thing I can think of at this point is maybe an AMD board from a different manufacturer.  I guess the one thing that didn't change between the 2 MSI boards i've tried is the 3600X... 

have you turned c states off?

Have you turned off the XMP profile for the memory?  XMP is an overclock.  You pretty much always want to run at SPD speeds.  Also (even though you've already ruled this out), the road to stable servers dictates matching memory modules.  If it's impossible to match the memory, then the most stable configuration with mismatched sets is when they all have the same CAS latency.

16 hours ago, Squid said:

Have you turned off the XMP profile for the memory?  XMP is an overclock.  You pretty much always want to run at SPD speeds.  Also (even though you've already ruled this out), the road to stable servers dictates matching memory modules.  If it's impossible to match the memory, then the most stable configuration with mismatched sets is when they all have the same CAS latency.

Yep, tried turning off XMP and running at SPD speeds.

14 hours ago, ramblinreck47 said:

Have you tried EFI boot instead of Legacy boot?

I have not, but that's not an option for me because I need to run a VM with a GPU passthrough, and it only worked properly in legacy boot mode when I was testing it before.

Since my last post, I've swapped some things around and am currently running Unraid on an Asus B450 board with a Ryzen 5 2600X chip.  It's been running stable for 12+ hours now.  I guess I'm sticking with this setup for now.

I don't know.... this smells like a HW issue.

Check your PSU/Connectors/cabeling. Which PSU do you have? 

Also, you said you had it working with Windows before but was it "really" stable? Did you check using stability tester sw e.g. AIDA64, OCCT etc ?

For memory test Memtest5 using 1usmus v3 profile is suggested as well.

Just FYI, i have a Ryzen 3700X on Asus Prime x570 with 32GB @ 3600Mhz stable. No special settings needed running current 6.8.3 of unraid.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:12 AM, Jackyl said:

try the 3600x in your b450 board (update the bios) if you start having issues again then you know its the chip and rma it.