Can't shutdown server...Want to figure out why

I have a problem where stopping the array and doing a power down through the Web interface fails (I believe) at unmounting the disks.  I also tried Powerdown at the server itself and that also fails.  I have to turn off the power and turn it back on.

I am on a "staycation" this week, and get up before the family does.  In this "extra" time, I'd like to fix the power down issue.  I see other threads about this, but nothing I found provides an overall list of what to do and when.

Also, while I'm not a novice at linux/unraid, I'm close to it.  I learn enough to do what needs to be done, then (months to years later) have a hard time remembering how to do things.  The last time I did anything was to change the file system on my drives, and that was a long time ago.

1) For instance, before trying to power down, do I run something to see what processes are running?  If so, what and how?  (I seem to remember using ssh and starting processes, but maybe they never ended?)

2) Prior to shutdown, do I have to prepare anything?  Say, start some type of logging process?

3) If shutdown does not work and I have to debug more, what do I need to do?  Can I do this myself or do I have to post (or both)?

Thank you.