Disk went missing from the array this morning

This morning one of my disks went missing from the array. The best I could tell drive didn't show up to the OS. I took the array offline and re-seated the drive. I could feel the the drive was spinning when I did this so it was at least getting power. After putting the drive back into the system it shows up but now with a red X on the drive. Other posts indicated I should ha ve someone smarter than me take  a look at the logs for indications the drive may be bad.

I have included the diagnostic dump from before and after I re-seated the drive.

unraid-green-diagnostics-20200705-1048.zip unraid-green-diagnostics-20200705-1029.zip

35 minutes ago, Phych said:

This morning one of my disks went missing from the array. The best I could tell drive didn't show up to the OS. I took the array offline and re-seated the drive. I could feel the the drive was spinning when I did this so it was at least getting power. After putting the drive back into the system it shows up but now with a red X on the drive. Other posts indicated I should ha ve someone smarter than me take  a look at the logs for indications the drive may be bad.

I have included the diagnostic dump from before and after I re-seated the drive.

unraid-green-diagnostics-20200705-1048.zip 152.4 kB · 0 downloads unraid-green-diagnostics-20200705-1029.zip 126.43 kB · 0 downloads

the red x means its showing the data from parity drive. have you checked the cables if you dont have a replacement sata cable switch it with another drive see if that drive goes missing if its still spinning might just be the cable.

7 minutes ago, nicksphone said:

the red x means its showing the data from parity drive. have you checked the cables if you dont have a replacement sata cable switch it with another drive see if that drive goes missing if its still spinning might just be the cable.

The server is in a Supermicro server with hotswap bays. All the drives use a single backplane and the backplane is connected to the Mobo with a single SAS cable. After I removed and reinserted the drive it now shows up to the Unraid OS.

My understanding is that right now the red X is because Unraid no longer "trusts" the drive and is not using it.

7 minutes ago, Phych said:

The server is in a Supermicro server with hotswap bays. All the drives use a single backplane and the backplane is connected to the Mobo with a single SAS cable. After I removed and reinserted the drive it now shows up to the Unraid OS.

My understanding is that right now the red X is because Unraid no longer "trusts" the drive and is not using it.

you have to rebuild it then if the system is seeing it.

Just now, nicksphone said:

you have to rebuild it then if the system is seeing it.

I guess I worded my original post poorly. I was wondering if there is anything in the logs I should look for to indicate that there may be a problem with the drive. The drive is still under warranty and I have a spare drive ready to go in. So if there is even a hint that it was a drive issue I want to RMA it while I still can.

1 minute ago, Phych said:

I guess I worded my original post poorly. I was wondering if there is anything in the logs I should look for to indicate that there may be a problem with the drive. The drive is still under warranty and I have a spare drive ready to go in. So if there is even a hint that it was a drive issue I want to RMA it while I still can.

you can always use the spare and put the drive with the issue though a few pre-clear loops to make sure its still good.

16 minutes ago, nicksphone said:

you can always use the spare and put the drive with the issue though a few pre-clear loops to make sure its still good.

Sounds reasonable. Normally I pre-clear all my drives before using them. I just picked up the spare drive yesterday so I haven't had a chance of doing that that. Do you see any value of that or just put in the new drive assume if it has not errors after the rebuild it is probably fine?

Note: I have 4 data disks and 2 parity.

Edit: Made wording less ambigous

Edited by Phych
1 minute ago, Phych said:

Sounds reasonable. Normally I pre-clear all my drives before using them. I just picked up the spare drive yesterday so I haven't had a chance of doing that that. Do you see any value of that or just put in the new drive assume if its "green" after the rebuild it is probably fine?

Note: I have 4 data disks and 2 parity.

thats a personal choice i mean you can have another drive fail while you are testing the drive and still keep your data. you can also put the untested drive in let it rebuild so you still have 2 drives that can fail with your testing the iffy drive and if it passes the loop rebuild with it back in again then clear the new drive ready for the next one. its what ever you feel safe with and if you are willing to be doing multi rebuilds.

3 minutes ago, nicksphone said:

thats a personal choice i mean you can have another drive fail while you are testing the drive and still keep your data. you can also put the untested drive in let it rebuild so you still have 2 drives that can fail with your testing the iffy drive and if it passes the loop rebuild with it back in again then clear the new drive ready for the next one. its what ever you feel safe with and if you are willing to be doing multi rebuilds.

Thanks for your help.