[SOLVED] Disk Unmountable After Parity

5 minutes ago, Officero said:

I'm running an extended SMART on the drive now, but thought I would post my diagnostic zip in case someone smarter could take a look and see if I should toss the drive. From a little research, it seems like I should rebuild without that drive while I investigate? It's disk 7 in the diagnostic folder.

tower-diagnostics-20200705-1315.zip 113.25 kB · 1 download

have your tired another sata or power cable? they sometimes fail or the cheap connectors vibrate loose. 

The disk is disabled as well as unmountable. Unfortunately you rebooted before getting the diagnostics so syslog doesn't show us what might have happened. SMART for the disk looks OK to me but since you are already running the extended SMART test let it complete and post new diagnostics.

You will have to repair the filesystem as well as rebuild. Post back with the new diagnostics after extended SMART test completes.

10 minutes ago, trurl said:

The disk is disabled as well as unmountable. Unfortunately you rebooted before getting the diagnostics so syslog doesn't show us what might have happened. SMART for the disk looks OK to me but since you are already running the extended SMART test let it complete and post new diagnostics.

You will have to repair the filesystem as well as rebuild. Post back with the new diagnostics after extended SMART test completes.

Yeah, had just read how I shouldn't have done that. Dang. Next time, I'll remember. Thank you. I'll let the extended SMART test complete and post the new diagnostics. From the forum guide, should I post a new topic?

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Not sure I understand the question. Keep all discussion related to these problems on this thread.

Misread this:

"If you've been asked to post a diagnostics file (or anything in addition), DO NOT add it to a previous post: Please create a new post with the requested information!"

Thanks, I'll wait for the SMART to finish and post. Appreciate the help.

1 hour ago, Officero said:

"If you've been asked to post a diagnostics file (or anything in addition), DO NOT add it to a previous post: Please create a new post with the requested information!"

Yes, a new post in this same thread.

The reason for that advice is because old posts that have been edited don't show up as new posts, and those of us that often browse for things to help with will likely not see those edits since there is nothing new to follow up on.

When asking for Diagnostics, I almost always say:

"Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post."

I say NEXT so people won't put it in a previous post, and I say ZIP because many people apparently have their browser configured to automatically open ZIP files, and they seem unaware that they have even downloaded a ZIP. They then proceed to attach all of the individual files in the diagnostics separately. I always just delete all those and make them do it over. Too much trouble to download them separately, and they are much easier to work with in the folders within the ZIP.

On 7/5/2020 at 3:30 PM, trurl said:

Yes, a new post in this same thread.

The reason for that advice is because old posts that have been edited don't show up as new posts, and those of us that often browse for things to help with will likely not see those edits since there is nothing new to follow up on.

When asking for Diagnostics, I almost always say:

"Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post."

I say NEXT so people won't put it in a previous post, and I say ZIP because many people apparently have their browser configured to automatically open ZIP files, and they seem unaware that they have even downloaded a ZIP. They then proceed to attach all of the individual files in the diagnostics separately. I always just delete all those and make them do it over. Too much trouble to download them separately, and they are much easier to work with in the folders within the ZIP.

SMART completed without error. Attaching new diagnostics. Disk is disk 7.

tower-diagnostics-20200706-1746.zip

It's mounted now but disabled. Seems like my next step is to pull the drive and check the data on another PC, then, if I'm confident it was only a cabling issue, I can:

Stop the array

Set the disk to be not installed

Start the array

Stop the array

Set the disk to be the appropriate disk

Start the array

My Unraid does not hold valuable data, so I feel comfortable risking it. Though perhaps I will RMA it through WD since it's 1 year old.

tower-diagnostics-20200706-2208.zip

Edited by Officero

The SMART information for that drive looks OK.   At the moment UnRAID is emulating the drive - now that it is mounted do the contents look OK?    The steps you outline will make UnRAID attempt to rebuild the contents of the emulated drive back onto the physical drive.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Disk Unmountable After Parity