ODroid H2+

al3388

Used Unraid for several years now and switched to Hardkernel ODroid H2+.

This neat little device (which consumes approx 2W with Debian Buster) has a new Realtek network chip R8125B.

This 2.5GB network device requires manual installation for several Linux distros.

Are there any plans to support this network chip or device?

Tried it with the latest Beta 6.9 beta 22, no luck with the network chip.

On 7/12/2020 at 3:38 PM, T0a said:

@al3388 Would love to hear your feedback with Unraid running on the new ODroid H2+. This little device got my attention too.

I get my h2+ today.  I’m am going to put it through it’s paces in windows and then I’m converting it to unraid to replace my pi4 with diet pi.  I’ll post my feedback here at some point in the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Running unraid beta 25 on the Odroid h2+ for several days now. Installed several docker containers (pihole, nextcloud, unifi controller, bookstack, bitwarden, nginxproxymanager, duplicacy)... needs around 3W with one active M2 SSD (Adata 8200 xpg), the HDD (WD Red 3 TB) is not active. 8 GB RAM with approx 40% utilisation.

Performance? enough.

Power consumption? great.

I pinned the H2+ and the HDD to a wall, so quite invisible as well

18 hours ago, al3388 said:

Running unraid beta 25 on the Odroid h2+ for several days now. Installed several docker containers (pihole, nextcloud, unifi controller, bookstack, bitwarden, nginxproxymanager, duplicacy)... needs around 3W with one active M2 SSD (Adata 8200 xpg), the HDD (WD Red 3 TB) is not active. 8 GB RAM with approx 40% utilisation.

Performance? enough.

Power consumption? great.

I pinned the H2+ and the HDD to a wall, so quite invisible as well

I have my H2+ running Unraid.  Are you able to boot into gui mode or memtest from the flash drive?  I havent been able to get that to work....not that its really needed it just bugged me.  I am also having a problem with temp and fan sensors not being recognized after I click apply in system temp..but I think thats a plugin problem.

Otherwise my experience is pretty good.  Stable as hell, and pretty speedy.  I am comparing it to my 9900K overclocked to 5ghz with very fast nvme storage and a ton of ram.  I am currently waiting for preclear to "erase" my drives so in a day or so I will be able to test vms and a handful of dockers.

Any updates? Im looking for a SBC/tiny something to run unraid on mainly for an easy way to manage dockers (do not really care about VM's, I use portainer in a PI currently, but the unraid docker management is great). Has anyone tested this for stability running multiple docker containers? The board is going to be ~200 when you factor in everything you need to get it to work but the size is just great. 

2 minutes ago, Jclendineng said:

Any updates? Im looking for a SBC/tiny something to run unraid on mainly for an easy way to manage dockers (do not really care about VM's, I use portainer in a PI currently, but the unraid docker management is great). Has anyone tested this for stability running multiple docker containers? The board is going to be ~200 when you factor in everything you need to get it to work but the size is just great. 

It has been extremely good for me.  No problems at all.  Only thing you need to be aware of is unraid doesn’t like usb hard drives in the array.  It will work, but it can finicky because the naming can change on reboot.  This isn’t a problem with the odroid though.

10/10 would recommend.

Just now, sittingmongoose said:

It has been extremely good for me.  No problems at all.  Only thing you need to be aware of is unraid doesn’t like usb hard drives in the array.  It will work, but it can finicky because the naming can change on reboot.  This isn’t a problem with the odroid though.

10/10 would recommend.

Awesome, thanks. I will be using a tiny usb for the OS and the m.2 slot for the harddrive since I do not plan on having an array as such, just docker (unless I want to install nextcloud or plex and need to set up storage options).

2 minutes ago, Jclendineng said:

Awesome, thanks. I will be using a tiny usb for the OS and the m.2 slot for the harddrive since I do not plan on having an array as such, just docker (unless I want to install nextcloud or plex and need to set up storage options).

Os usb is of course excluded from my statement about usb.  

you might need at least 1 drive to start the array.  But if you use the 2 sata ports your golden.

• 2 years later...

The H3+ looks very interesting for people with low storage and power needs. 1 nvme and 2 sata ports are all i need. It's a nice nuc replacement.

The pentium silver n6005 supports vt-x and vt-d so i hope they enabled it in the bios. Granted, there is not much to pass through but a small home assistant VM will work just fine i think.

Sadly, it's out of stock... (like everything these days)