Stale file handle

On one of my VM's connecting to the unRAID server, a backup was halted when connecting to the SMB share because of the following error.

cannot open directory '.': Stale file handle

After a bit of digging, I found two possible answers.

1. Turn off NFS Hard Links

I changed Settings > Global Share Settings > Tunable (support Hard Links): to No
and Settings > NFS > Tunable (fuse_remember): -1

I did notice there was a warning about this setting potentially causing high RAM usage, but I only use it for one purpose and that is for ESXi ghettoVCB backups, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll keep my eye on the memory just in case.

I don't see how NFS Hard Links could affect SMB shares, but we'll see.

2. Using SMB v1.0

This would have to be a no for me, I do not want to be using an older version of SMB which is known to have security issues. Instead, I opted to try forcing SMB v2.0 - 3.0

Settings > SMB Settings > Enable NETBIOS: No

I also changed the global SMB settings
Settings > SMB Extras

[global]
     client min protocol = SMB2
     client max protocol = SMB3

I haven't gotten the Stale file handle for a day or two now, but going forward, would there be any other hints to avoid getting this error? It's real annoying because most of my automated backups are scripted to mount SMB shares, so my backups wouldn't work if the error continues.

Also, would there be any logging features unRAID has I can turn on or check out to pass on to developers to check on the issue?

I've got 16 days left on my unRAID trial and everything has been fantastic other than this. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...