how many users can i create?

First thing, where are these friends?  You should NOT even think about connecting an Unraid server directly to the Internet.  It is not intended or harden to withstand the attacks (from all over the world) which will begin within two hours of exposure!!! 

There are a few Dockers which can be used to give access to files from the WAN.  You could also setup a VPN to allow access. 

As far as I know, there is no limit of the number of users you can have for accessing the User Shares.  You do realize that you will probably be limited more by the bandwidth of the LAN than by the number of allowed users.  You will also have to add and assign passwords for all users as, apparently, there are not any provision for direct user interaction for these activities.

• Thanks 1
On 7/8/2020 at 3:02 AM, leurnik02 said:

hi i would like to build my first unraid server and i want to share it with my friends using user shares, i just want to know if how many users can i create on unraid?

You need to specify what kind of sharing, over what kind of connection, etc.

As Frank said, no Unraid user limit but the users are more for sharing files over the same network and not over the Internet.

• Thanks 1
On 7/9/2020 at 10:43 AM, Frank1940 said:

First thing, where are these friends?  You should NOT even think about connecting an Unraid server directly to the Internet.  It is not intended or harden to withstand the attacks (from all over the world) which will begin within two hours of exposure!!! 

There are a few Dockers which can be used to give access to files from the WAN.  You could also setup a VPN to allow access. 

As far as I know, there is no limit of the number of users you can have for accessing the User Shares.  You do realize that you will probably be limited more by the bandwidth of the LAN than by the number of allowed users.  You will also have to add and assign passwords for all users as, apparently, there are not any provision for direct user interaction for these activities.

hi! thank you for this nice info what docker should i need? i want to share it over the internet since my family are outside the country and there  are no videos and media here just a file servers only. is nextcloud is okay for this file sharing read and write? what security measure should i take to avoid attackers from others? (not friends) thanks...

Edited by leurnik02
On 7/9/2020 at 4:47 PM, testdasi said:

You need to specify what kind of sharing, over what kind of connection, etc.

As Frank said, no Unraid user limit but the users are more for sharing files over the same network and not over the Internet.

hi thanks for that.. i want it to share over the internet since my family and friends are outside the country and i want to share them my server is nextcloud is okay for this and what security measure should i take to avoid attackers from others? thanks...

3 hours ago, leurnik02 said:

hi thanks for that.. i want it to share over the internet since my family and friends are outside the country and i want to share them my server is nextcloud is okay for this and what security measure should i take to avoid attackers from others? thanks...

Nextcloud is generally the go-to in terms of hosting a personal cloud for family members.

Note that once you expose nextcloud to the Internet, getting the attention of a hacker is a sooner or later event so have good backup strategy and keep your nextcloud updated would be prudent.

It's like living above a pub, sooner or later a drunk guy is gonna think your apartment door is the toilet door so you want it locked properly or he's gonna go in and pee in your place.

The alternative is to setup a VPN server but that require your F&F to be constantly connected to the VPN to access the files, something most people find very annoying to do.

• Thanks 1