Workflow Best Practices

I’m new to Unraid and docker, and have very little experience with virtualization.

I just want to make sure that I have the concepts correct when it comes to how I want to setup my Unraid server.

I would like to create a Development Environment on my server. I just wanted some advice on how to best implement this?

Should I start installing the languages and compilers that I need straight into Unraid? Should I download docker-ized versions of the languages and compilers? Should I run a VM to create an “environment” for development? And then maybe run Docker from within the VM? Should I go with Vagrant?

I basically want a setup that I can connect to from my iPad or laptop (Macbook Air) or PC (Win 10) and still have access to all the same tools, IDE, compilers, resources, etc.

I saw the “binhex pycharm” docker image, but the info doesn’t even say if Python is included and if so, what version?

Installing directly into unRaid is likely a bad idea as unRaid is memory resident and any changes will be wiped on restart, unless you set up scripts to reinstall at boot time.

If all of your tools are available as dockers, that is one way to go. Dockers tend to be less resource intensive than VMs, if thats a concern. I like VMs for no reason other than I'm oldschool. But also, I don't have a separate standalone workstation - ALL my systems are VMs in unRaid.

If you have questions about specific dockers, the best place to ask is on the specific docker support thread - you'll find a link to this when looking up the docker in Community Applications. Or just go ahead and install the docker and explore. They are easy to uninstall if not needed.

Finally, be aware of unRaid NerdPack which installs a lot of useful tools and widgets into the OS itself. Might come in handy.