H.266 - Half the file size of H.265 for same quality!

binhex

13 minutes ago, DarphBobo said:

Yet another codec that's going to require a massive investment in CPUs / GPUs to actually support it

no massive investment for me, my current home media box cost me just over £100 and can playback x.265 remuxes without missing a beat, i would assume something similar will come out for x.266 at around the same price point, thats significantly cheaper than doubling my storage requirements.

Edited by binhex
On 7/8/2020 at 5:49 AM, binhex said:

no massive investment for me, my current home media box cost me just over £100 and can playback x.265 remuxes without missing a beat, i would assume something similar will come out for x.266 at around the same price point, thats significantly cheaper than doubling my storage requirements.

Hi Binhex,

What is your media box? I have two older Intel NUCs and they can’t handle 265...

thanks,

h.

6 hours ago, hernandito said:

Hi Binhex,

What is your media box? I have two older Intel NUCs and they can’t handle 265...

thanks,

h.

I can tell you that my old Ivy Bridge 3770k can run at least 3-4 h.265 streams just fine before hitting around 90%.  A NUC probably can't cope w/ that though, or probably any ARM processor.

i used to have a NUC, then i got pissed off with the noise, so i switched it for a passive cooling case, then i got pissed off cos it used to shutdown under load due to getting too hot, i als o wanted to playback x.265 media, so i made a big leap and got myself:-

ODROID N2 (4GB model) with 32GB of eMMC storage

https://www.odroid.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=868

This unit is silent (passively cooled), can playback x.265 remuxes (or any other x.265 encoded media of course), and costs about a quarter of the cost of the NUC.

In short i couldn't be happier with it!, it runs fantastically cool even under full load and just WORKS!.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Squid said:

The kicker that I've found though with x.265 isn't that the hardware can't decode it.  It's that the hardware can't decode it if the bitrate is very high and it's x.265.  (ie: Full 4K blu-ray mkv's that are 60-80GB)

Thats the thing, the ODROID N2 can do exactly that in hardware, full untouched 4k remuxes playback fine.

38 minutes ago, binhex said:

oooh, new version of the ODRIOD N2 is out, same price with 22% speed boost on big cores:-

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=39585&p=299298&hilit=n2plus#p299298

Quick questions related to this. What software do you run on the unit, normal Android or Android TV?

Does it have all the DRM related hardware items needed to deal with Netflix / Prime HDR streams? This was an issue I was seeing with some of the cheaper tablet alternatives I looked at around a year ago. Or do you strictly use this as a Plex/Emby/JellyFin client box?

1 hour ago, BRiT said:

What software do you run on the unit

I'm running CoreELEC, the CoreELEC team all got preview devices from ODROID before launch so the experience was really good day 1, it runs smooth as butter (Kodi), ive even got a decent emulation experience out of it via EmuELEC (addon).

1 hour ago, BRiT said:

Does it have all the DRM related hardware items needed to deal with Netflix / Prime HDR streams?

I'm not sure tbh as i haven't investigated running Android TV on the box yet.

• Thanks 1
On 7/15/2020 at 11:07 AM, BRiT said:

Quick questions related to this. What software do you run on the unit, normal Android or Android TV?

Does it have all the DRM related hardware items needed to deal with Netflix / Prime HDR streams? This was an issue I was seeing with some of the cheaper tablet alternatives I looked at around a year ago. Or do you strictly use this as a Plex/Emby/JellyFin client box?

Sadly these devices typically don't get the DRM capable stuff which is why CoreELEC or something like it is the preferred OS.

I had a lower powered version that ran Kodi (LibreELEC) wonderfully and I used the plexkodiconnect addon for connection to my Plex library. Worked great, but UI lagged a bit (granted this is an s905x box which is significantly slower) so I opted for a "normal" HTPC with an nvidia GPU. Then moved the HTPC to a VM since I moved my main unRAID server next to the theater. Works perfectly with the exception of the Windows stuff I have to deal with.

Once I get a 4K projector it won't matter as I'll just keep using my Shield TV for everything. Only reason I don't use it now is because it has an issue with HDR-SDR conversion and my projector is 1080p so the HTPC is necessary until all that gets fixed. Plus, Kodi's interface is SO much better than Plex.

• Thanks 1